Noob Needs Advise for Building Gaming Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
dun forget he is including monitor and keyboard and mouse. and from i see his build is still being decided so theres no need for that.

havok... be kind...

and again, im just trying to prevent people from... well... doing exactly what you did... and listing whole new computers (what i have is there for a reason and ill need good reason to change it...) and from just offering random advice on a 'because i said so' or 'because thats what i just built' basis...

a thank you goes out to 'nerdygeek' for help with the video card... thats exactly the kind of advice and backup im looking for, and im gonna go look into the 8800 when im done typing...

thanks for the help again so far... and yes, im still deciding on things, though this list is nearing completion, mainly because no one has screamed bloody obscenities over any of the parts (save the PSU which i changed), which is a good sign... anyways im still wondering if my power supply has enough wattage, if widescreen is smart for gaming, and if i should stick to XP if anyone would like to help... again preferably backing up what you say with sound reasoning like nerdygeek lol... ya... thanks... - RK

Why are you so dead set on going with AMD? Havoc may not have sounded very nice, but that doesn't mean he was wrong, because at this point intels processors are the better options, unless your looking at AMD's future processors, which wont even be fully supported by socket AM2. And im pretty sure most people on this forum are going to agree with that, save the few AMD fanboys we have hanging around here.
Your right on with vista, no reason to go with it yet unless you need DX10 or something, which you don't. I suggest the 8800 definately for the small price diference between it and the 7950, unless you wanna go for the silent edition that XFX has. As far as the RAM, those G skills are what i have, and they look sick, and out perform almost all other ddrII 800 Ram, so i would really suggest those. Otherwise looks like a solid build, good luck with it.

Dude, I'm not going to teach you everything about the latest and greatest processors. Do your own research, which you obviously haven't. How many people here have recommended an Intel C2D? Nearly everyone...

Here's where the research comes in... Open your browser and fire up google.com. Search "Core 2 Duo Benchmarks"... Then compare the various benchmarks of the C2D's vs. any AMD processor. You'll find that the C2D's offer much higher performance for the price point then most of the AMD Processors.

"Listing a whole new computer because the one I listed is much better then the one you listed. Not many people will argue with that." If you want to be a bonehead and build a $1500 PC with mid range technology, be my guest. If you want to spend $1500 and get the best technology for your money then shut your mouth, and when you ask for advice, take it and do your own research.

I'm not going to sit here and hold your hand and give you "back-up" for all my suggestions. I wouldn't waste my time posting a few suggestions If I didn't feel close to 100% positive it was worth your investment.

With all that said, enjoy your build.

HAVOC is right the C2D's destroy AMD in almost any benchmark. Especially for that price. And to be completely honest i have no idea when it comes to wide screen and gaming. I am still running a CRT monitor, LOL.

all right, all right, you guys... ive been convinced... enough of you have said that Intel C2D is the way to go for me to look into it... so this entire forum has my word that ill check them out and ill likely replace the AMD... and the motherboard too... anyways... ive also decided to change to:

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / HDCP Enabled / Video Card (even though itll put me over budget... is the GTS 640MB about good?)

G.SKILL / Dual Channel / 2GB (2 x 1GB) / PC6400 DDR2 / 800MHz / Memory (i took some advice and looked at these and... hands down the reviews for it alone were enough to convince me... the old RAM had an average review of like... 3... and this was %90 5-starred... people were ecstatic with this stuff and the only people who gave it less then a five had problems with shipping or th like... my only question is will 2GB be enough or should i try to get 4? (and dual channel cuts out adding more unless i replace what i have...) plus, mind im already over budget....

Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / Serial ATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive (i went with less space because of budget issues... and plus i can just add another 320 down the road if i need to...)

my questions still remain though... especially with the changes listed above... will 500W be enough to run all of this? hypothetically if i werent to change the PCU or motherboard, would everything i picked out be compatible with it? and am i forgetting any parts or anything (the categories i listed before are everything im going to buy unless i hear that i forgot something... my case already has fans, btw, so no need to tell me that unless you think i need more to cool it...)?

and havok, you really do come off like a jerk... hahaha... but i do recognize that you are taking time to try to help me, and i do appreciate it (and all the rest of you guys)... and as to ignorant? i fully admit to it lol... arrogant? not so much... im hardly as rude as some other people in this forum.........

anyways, thanks again guys and let me know what you think of the changes... - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom