Folding @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing the same amount of tasks, in the time it takes 50 minutes to do 1%, and the time it takes 15 minutes, to do 1%. I'm only browsing the internet, and using winamp.

hmmm. I have no Idea whats causing that... I don't know if this makes any sense but when I leave my computer on for days on end F@H seems to slow down, so I restart, then its fine... It might be me just thinking it works.

Got this of a site....
"There are other advantages to turning off your computer a few times per week. Keep in mind that every time you restart your PC, your operating system flushes out older files that it's not currently using. Not only does this reduce file clutter on your hard drive and in RAM, it may even provide noticeable performance boosts."

I know F@H puts somewhat large demands on RAM
It might be me just being a tard but it seems to work for me...

How long have you had your PC on???

b1gapl: What Client are you using?

On the SMP Client the 500000 and 1 million step ones are worth >1500 points.

Though I guess it depends on the project type, the 2610 ones are huge..

I average 13 minutes per percent on my 3.2 Ghz E6600.

whoa....awesome! How long does it take you to finish one of them?

Also I'm using the regular text-only console client.

phantom,
I restarted, and now one client does 1% in 16 minutes, and the other client, does 1% in 12 minutes. Thanks!

The SMP Client is Still in BETA phases, so its still Unstable at times.

For example, I had to downclock from 3.41 Ghz to 3.204 Ghz because the client was so intense it was like running a stress test all the time. (Therefore Bluescreens and restarts where common place)
I should mention that with the SMP client, there will be 4 instances of fahcore_al.exe Running, each taking about 20-25% CPU time, 2 Smpd.exes and one maybe 2 mpiexec.exes. All Playing some role in the folding process.

It usually takes about the same time it takes a normal WU from the older console version. 23 hours sometimes a little more. The WU's are Much larger and worth alot more points.
If the WU I am on now stays the average it will take 21.6 Hours to complete. But it will be worth at least 1500 points. Many times more than the regular console WU's.

Its well worth it. Of course its even more worth it if you Use Linux and Vmware to use the linux version of the SMP Client. Which is far more stable than the windows version.
You could follow this guide for that if you wanted.
Boost Your Points Folding with VMware, x64 Ubuntu and the SMP Client - PlanetAMD64

I just haven't gotten around to doing it..

Thanks for the info. I'll give the SMP a try, once I finish the remaining from the current consoles, I have opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom