New AMD/ATI card kicks butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
Finally: ATI's Radeon HD 2900 XT Arrives

She lets off a lot of heat and takes up a lot of juice but for $400 you cant beat it. beats the 8800GTS and comes close, matches or wops the 8800GTX in most. This card is selling for $400 and even though it doesn't compete with the 8800GTX as afr as price range it gives so much more power-per-dollar. The only downsides is the heat, noise, and the drivers still need some work.

that's not the same link. his link is a true test, maybe you got the wrong thread.

the problem with this test is it doesn't differentiate between the 320MB and the 640MB GTS. which would help tremendously considering the $100 price difference.

yeah i would wait for better drives that way you save yourself the embarrassment of HL2 dropping to 9 fps when you turn AA and AF on lol. But it truly beats the 8 series for the cost, it comes up close on the GTX but costs $200 less. That seems like a no brainier to me. I need a better psu though, i only have a 400watt but i wouldn't pay $400 for a video card anyways, im going to wait for it to come down in cost or maybe just snag me one of the midrange cards. My 7900GS is getting a tad long in the tooth anyways.

zmatt,

Look at the benckmarks
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/real-review-x2900xt-vr-zone-com-143210/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/review-x2900-xt-theinquirer-net-143214/

8800GTX beats it in every benchmark
8800GTS beats it in many cases

HD2900XT consume more power and produce more noise

And GTX is just $100 more
Newegg.com - PNY VCG8800XXWB GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - OEM

yeah i would wait for better drives that way you save yourself the embarrassment of HL2 dropping to 9 fps when you turn AA and AF on lol.

HL2 and FEAR are optimized for ATI. Just look for the benchmarks for STALKER, even 8800GTS kicks HD2900XT *** in this game,,,,

Yah, your info is wrong nvidia cards win hands down in every article I read. Though the cost/performance ratio is very close, the better support and drivers will make me stick with nvidia for a long time. Unless ATI can significantly lower there price its not worth it.

Those benchmarks are stupid, they are all 1920 by 1200 and above res. They mean nothing to me. I want to see functional resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom