need help to locate broken part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedka

Solid State Member
Last Saturday evening a storm went through and somehow damage my computer, which is connected to a PSU. I'm trying locate the damaged part. I've eliminated the Hard Drive, Video card, monitor and power supply. I believe it's either the CPU, Motherboard or memory. I could not test them out since I do not have any compatible computers that would take a DDR memory, a Intel D865PERL motherboard nor the CPU.

Here is what happened, when the storm went through, the computer shut off. When I start the computer, the power goes to the DVD ROM drives and I can open and close the drives. The power to the fans for the cpu and the case operates. But nothing appears on the monitor. The power switch light on the monitor changes to red instead of green, when it is receiving a signal. There is no beep sound when I turn on the computer. I believe there is usually a beep sound when the computer is first turned on.
The power supply is about a year old (X-infinity 500w) and I've tested that on another computer, the same with the Hard drive. I've used another AGP video card from an older computer to test it on this mother board and it still does not display anything. So I assume it's either the CPU, Motherboard or memory.
Is there a way to further narrow it down to which component?

I have the same exact issue. I tried only using one 512 stick of ram at a time, and same thing happened. I get power to the cd drive, fans and the front LED light, but it doesnt even seem like the CPU is working. I have a pretty identical computer, im thinking of swapping the CPU. Another thing i made sure of is that the orange power supply switch is set on the correct setting (i think its 110 ).

since you are getting no beeps, that means no post.

motherboard. could also be cpu as well since it was a big surge

only way to test it is either find a compatable mobo to test or get a new one , if that doesnt work then you got a bad cpu too.

check the motherboard for any bulging/leaking capacitors or burnt marks

forgot to ask this, how did the surge enter the computer?

thru a modem or network card?

I'm not sure how the surge got to the computer. I have the network directly attached to my router. The router seems fine, My other computers can connect through the router and onto the internet. The power of the PC is connected to a UPS. So, I was surprised that my PC got damaged during the storm. I will have to check my UPS to make sure it is still working properly. I know the green light is on, on the UPS and it is not making any beeping sounds to indicate no power. I will have to check the motherboard to see if it is damaged, later tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom