hp o/c

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron5

Fully Optimized
i can easy o/c my 6800 ultra on my hp comp. and my p4 2.8. but coz its a stupid hp everytime it restarts the setting go back to stock. ive heard bout flash bios. is it safe? and should i do it?

i wouldnt flash the BIOS, i know many people that ****ed up and now there screwed with no POST
There should be jumpers on the motherboard switching frequencies for the CPU

i used to flash the bios on my old abit nf4 mobo all the time.
i never had any problem with it. but, i suppose some people have totally screwed up their rigs by doing it. i dunno why it is so dangerous(or rumored to be). but then again, abit's nf4 bios' were pretty bug-free.

Ive flashed my BIOS once and it was so tense. I almost screwed it up. After the flash, the computer took a while to boot and I thought that was the end.

i used to flash the bios on my old abit nf4 mobo all the time.
i never had any problem with it. but, i suppose some people have totally screwed up their rigs by doing it. i dunno why it is so dangerous(or rumored to be). but then again, abit's nf4 bios' were pretty bug-free.

Well, think about it. The BIOS is the first piece of software used when you first turn your computer on. It is the foundation for anything to work. Without the BIOS all you have are running fans.

Put simply: If you screw up a BIOS flash and corrupt your BIOS, your computer will never boot again.

Sometimes you can get lucky and buy a new BIOS chip, and some motherboards have a back-up. There are some exceptions but for the most part you're screwed if you corrupt the BIOS.

yeah usually the only fix is to send the motherboard to the manufacturer and they will replace the bios chip. probably at cost to you

The only issue with flashing an HP is the fact that most of the boards are HP specific and therefore there are no BIOS out there that would support your board. What you need to do is find the board model number and then search it out on the manufacturers website and if they made the board for retail as well then it would be safe to flash the bios.

well, as far as screwing up...
abit has a flash utility and it is like, find file, click flash. bingo bango, no problemo.
but, i was a little tense the first time as well. i read about abits flash utility that came with my mobo, and if it encounters any problems, it discontinues the flash (basically it waits to erase the old until it knows the new will work, i guess?), so it was no big deal. but that utility was made specifically for that motherboard. using a third party bios flash program, errr...i dont suggest that. you can get a cheapo ext. floppy and backup your current bios. then flash the new. i'd just leave it alone.
it is pretty likely you will be like.."DOH!"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom