Is hotplugging dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanH

Beta member
Hi all,

I remember my father told me when I was a child to always turn off computer before connecting the printer to the parallel port.

Is this still the rule?

I googled for info but found nothing to say it's OK, neither against doing it.

The only thing I have is this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotplugging:
Machines that support hot swapping need some ability to detect that a component has been removed. In addition, all electrical and mechanical connections need to be designed such that neither the component nor the user can be harmed by removing it. Lastly, other components in the system must be designed such that the removal of a different component does not harm operation. Often there is some automatic recovery process.

So, connecting (hotplugging) a device to serial or parallel port:
What's your knowledge about this?
What do you do?
Any of you have any links where I can read about this?
Shall I assume I will potentially damage components if I hotplug (and thus, not do it)?

My box is from 1998
Running Linux (and windows)

Thanks...

Hi all,

I remember my father told me when I was a child to always turn off computer before connecting the printer to the parallel port.

Is this still the rule?

I googled for info but found nothing to say it's OK, neither against doing it.

The only thing I have is this from Hotplugging: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, connecting (hotplugging) a device to serial or parallel port:
What's your knowledge about this?
What do you do?
Any of you have any links where I can read about this?
Shall I assume I will potentially damage components if I hotplug (and thus, not do it)?

My box is from 1998
Running Linux (and windows)

Thanks...

Nah, I do it all the time. Be it the COM, LPT port or any port for external devices. The only rule is to turn the PC off while connecting internal parts. Your father is just playing it safe, but it is a good rule to remember. However in most businesses, taking down a server just so you can plug in a printer is NOT what you want to do.

Nah, I do it all the time. Be it the COM, LPT port or any port for external devices. The only rule is to turn the PC off while connecting internal parts. Your father is just playing it safe, but it is a good rule to remember. However in most businesses, taking down a server just so you can plug in a printer is NOT what you want to do.

PS/2 ports generally need for the PC to be off or the device may not work or it may hang your computer. But yeah, parallel, LPT, serial, USB all are fine for hot plugging.

You will want to make sure you haven't built up a static charge also, so that you don't accidentally discharge INTO the port...

Great response!

From now on, I'm hotplugging (until I break something :)).

Thanks everyone

Don't hot plug a PS/2 port device, it can easily fry the port, especialy on older machines, I have fried atleast four of them freaking ports here at Votech, and one my my computer at home for a Ps/2 mouse... But everything else is basicaly plug n play.

Don't hot plug a PS/2 port device, it can easily fry the port, especialy on older machines, I have fried atleast four of them freaking ports here at Votech, and one my my computer at home for a Ps/2 mouse... But everything else is basicaly plug n play.

Lol, you didn't learn after the first time?

I have never FRIED a port, but I often find that on older computers, if you hotplug a PS/2 device, it will not work until you restart the computer.. Had my mouse "unplug itself" several times playing Diablo 2 in the past... plugged it back it to find it not working, and of course there was ALWAYS some nice item just sitting there waiting to be picked up, and the game would be gone by the time I would restart and relog... lol... memories.....

I hated when that happened... One time i had a IK helm right in front of me back in 1.09...... Good ol days, anyways, no, I never learn....

You'd be amazed at how plug-and-play compatible PS/2 devices are. I have both PS/2 mouse and keyboard and they both work instantly when plugging them in. Both on my old Socket A MSI board and on my new computer.
My uncle uses USB, and nothing but trouble. Takes him 30 reboots to get his mouse working. Also, if it works, USB mice take a while (few seconds) to be detected, PS/2 works instantly. And the PS/2 connector is easier to connect imo (easier to see which side goes where).

On my old MMX, sometimes hotplugging works, sometimes it doesn't. Even hotplugging the old keyboard with DIN connector works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom