windows live messenger has a habit of logging me off every 5 minutes, whats happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

razman121

Baseband Member
well, the title describes it, ever since i got windows live messenger, i have been logged of repetetively and it is getting to the stage where it is ridiculus im just not sure whats happening. . . can anybody help me, i have searched for help on yahoo and google but all i can find are threads where somone has posted a thread saying they have a problem then about 50 other people have said they have the problem too haha! well thanks for all help, its much appreciated, by the way i dont run any anti virus or other software, just a fully updated version of xp home with sp2

Re: windows live messenger has a habit of logging me off every 5 minutes, whats happe

You really should use antivirus you won't mess up your computer as much I recommend Kaspersky.

But back to your main problem, is it the beta version? if not Live has a built in error checking facility run it and then it may tell you the problem, if not un-install it and try again.

Re: windows live messenger has a habit of logging me off every 5 minutes, whats happe

i used to use norton antivirus but it just slowd my system down, but yes, i have tried all the in program help and i have also un installed it and re installed it, completely removed all content of it from my computer and so on, it just keeps logging off and i cant figure out why. . . it really is getting irritating and i cant seem to find a way out ouf it. . . :S

Norton is not very good IMO, I have no idea what is causing it, is your internet connection stable, if you are using wireless you could be getting interference that causes your connection to cut out for a few seconds then reconnect.

do you reccommend any program to keep track of my internet conection? i am using a linksys wireles-G Usb Network adapter and my signal strength is usually good and the router is only no more than 6 mertres away from the pc so im not sure on what is the problem, but it used to work without disconnecting with the same set up, just not now that i have windows live messenger :S

The problem sound's more to do with the wireless, I cant recommend a program sorry but I would look into Belkin wireless equipment as most of the people I know who have used Linksys have had nothing but trouble, Try it with the old messenger if you have it installed, just to make sure that the problem is with live and not your network if you wish.

I keep the old one installed because you don't have to pay for chats with people on mobile devices as you do with live

does the internet connection actually go down or is it just messenger cutting out? - thats the first thing you need to pinpoint.
Your router logs ought to tell you if the connection is actually going down (or atleast you should be able to get an "up time" from the connection in windows). if the internet connection is going down you might want to check your router settings and maybe flash the routers firmware. Also set your network connection to display an icon in your system tray, that way you can see if its connected or not, if the wireless is cutting out it will disappear then reappear a lot - you can check the connection duration (up time) by right clicking and selecting status.

If the connection is staying up then its probably a messenger issue, not sure about what that might be but you might try setting your MTU to 1400

its definitely down to msn, what do you mean by MTU?

i have updated the firmware for my router also, i just cant fugure what the problem with msn is :S

Humm did you play with lives seting's? delete it and then reinstall it see if that fixes it.

as i have said above, yes several times. . .
gota make it strait tho, its not msn, its windows live messenger. i have been on the support on the internet but you cant get through the support pages, there is no advice or way you can ask questions :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom