Cant install windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrouz_256

Solid State Member
I have recently baught a pc and am running a 120 gig SATA hard drive
it is all plugged in etc. how i got it from the shop, and it detects it at boot but when i go to install windows after caching all the files it says press enter to install and i do and it says error cannot find harddrive.

I am very new to SATA stuff and have had this machine put together for me the details are as follows
(this is in australia)

ASUS K8V-SE DELUXE VIA K8T800 Chipset SATA RAID USB 2.0 6 Channel Audio Gigabit LAN

AMD ATHLON 64 3400+ Retail Box

GEIL 512meg High Performance DDR400 with heatspreader
X2 in dual channell

MSI 8x DVD Burner MODEL DR8-A (MS8408A) Retail Box

Maxtor 120 gig 7200rpm SATA

ThermalTake VENUS 12 All copper high density (73 fins)

Any help would be appreciated

Wow, what a awesome machine u have.
No graphic card???
Ok, back to the topic.
U mean u brought 1 whole set from the shop or DIY???
Try check the SATA HDD whether the cable got lose or the power cord.

Yeah i have an X800 Pro but I ve checked th serial ATA connectors and windows installation says it cant detect no HDD

Okay if you are getting this error: "No mass storage device found" or something similair, i think i can help.
First of all whats happening is that you need to provide windows with SATA drivers for it to be able to recognise the disk. Its the same with RAID and many SCSI drives. First of all look down the bottom when the blue XP install screen first comes up. It will say "Press F6 to install third party drivers". Press F6 and insert the floppy with the SATA drivers on it. You should have this disk from buying your machine. If you dont have the disk try going to the manufacturers website and downloading the drivers, then putting them onto floppy.

Anyway, once the drivers are properly installed windows setup should be able to detect your drive for the rest of the setup.

Hope this helps

I had the same exact problem yesterday. This is what I found out, you need to get the SATA/Raid drivers off the mobo manufacturer. Asus made it easy, its in a folder on the cd, need to copy everything (files not folders) in the root that contains txtsetup.oem. Put it on disk, disconnect any ide drives you have in at the time. Start computer with windows xp diskettes, i will think you have an SCSI drive in and ask for the driver disk controller so it will be able to recognize it. If it still doesnt recognize, you will need the MaxBlast 3 cd, it will allow you to format the drive so that you can install windows on it. Thats how I did it. I noticed you said you needed maxtor drivers, meaning you need the cd? If so maybe maxtor has it somewhere on their website, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom