need help checking compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedka

Solid State Member
I'm trying to build a computer for my bro. He only uses the computer to play starcraft and use it to program. He doesn't use it for intense gaming. and the cheapest he can get.

This is the build I am thinking of.

MB: Newegg.com - ASUS P4V8X-MX Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Celeron D 315 Prescott 2.26GHz 256KB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - OEM
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 256-A8-N542-T2 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Mem: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Value 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail
HD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380215A 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
DVD+RW : Newegg.com - LG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE Super-Multi DVD Burner - OEM
CASE: Newegg.com - APEVIA X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail

Is any of these incompatible? I'm not sure if the memory or the video card is compatible. I am also not sure if the power supply that comes with the case is compatible. If you have a better recommendation with a socket 478 board. I will hear it :)

The main reason I chose this is because the MB must be a socket 478. I had an old computer with an Intel D865PERL board. After a recent storm it doesn't start any more. The components that I can checkout are the Power Supply, Hard Drives, Video Card, and Monitor. Those does work, when I hook them up to my newer computer. The CPU, Motherboard and Memory are not compatible with my new computer for me to check them out.
The reason I'm building a whole new computer instead of just trying to fix the other one is:
1) to checkout what is broken in the other computer and see if I can fix it.
2) to replace a much older PIII computer.

Thanks.

I totally agree^^^ i dont know why you would want to get a s478 in the first place. If you were going to go with intel, why wouldnt you get LGA 775, that way you could upgrade to a core duo in the future.

But i always like b1gapl's builds though, since he always chooses AMD like me. :)

The reason I chose the 478 motherboard is because the broken computer has the Intel D865PERL board and I want to troubleshoot the broken computer. If only one part (cpu, MB or memory) is broken, I can replace that and have two working computers instead of dumping it out. I was going to use a new build to troubleshoot which of the three parts need replacing. Plus, I can't bring myself to dump a good computer, if I can only find out which part is broken. I still have an old PIII computer that is still working and being used, except that Pentium III CPU (slot A) is not stable at 800mhz anymore but at 400mhz.
I might be able to convince my bro to get this computer since it's better and about the same price with windows XP OEM.

editted:
Looks like I convinced my bro to buy the suggested computer parts. I have one questions is 400w enough for future upgrades? or should I get this one? Newegg.com - Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom