Wireless Card & Ethernet Card on Same PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatdamngodd

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone,

I have a wireless router at my home and just opposite the street, i have a lan setup.On one of the pc's there i have installed a wireless pci card to access the router since that is set up to provide internet.
so when i have both lan and wireless connections enabled on that pc, i am not able to access the internet. if i disable the ethernet connection having only the wireless connection, then i am able to access the internet.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this problem.

Secondly, if i am able to get internet connectivity on that pc, then how do i get other pcs on the lan to access the internet..?

thanks for that swift reply. I tried that but I found that the PC had an IP address which was same as that for the router.

you that is a must read, thx Ethereal Dragon for bringing it up. For the ip problem, simple do a repair on the comp with the same ip and DHCP should cover the rest

i tried giving it another static ip address but it still wouldn'twork.
also now i am not able to access the web interface for the router. (http://192.168.0.1/... etc) cant ping it either. i can access the net from my home.

sharing files onwireless network

hello all,

i am zero when it comes to networking :confused: I want to share files between two laptops connected to the wireless network. i tried doing it the easy way ie cable from laptop to router. but when i type the ip address of the other laptop, it says 'network path not found' . how do i do it without the cable.

I have the LAN setup across the street so is it possible to access the files of LAN through the wireless network. I know about VPN but that deals with the internet and stuff..?

Thanks.

If you cannot ping the router anymore, than I would suspect that you either have given it an IP address in a different subnet, or changed the IP on the wrong interface....

What IP address did you give the wireless NIC? I should have the first 3 octets the same as the router... 192.168.0..... the last number should be different, and the subnet mask should be the same. The default gateway would then be 192.168.0.1.

can you give further details about the LAN? What kind of hardware is used? How many hosts?

EDIT: Since you already had a thread going, I merged them...

Also, for the sharing, Did you enable file sharing on BOTH computers? Does it work when they are cabled together, or no?/EDIT

Hello Everyone,

I have a wireless router at my home and just opposite the street, i have a lan setup.On one of the pc's there i have installed a wireless pci card to access the router since that is set up to provide internet.
so when i have both lan and wireless connections enabled on that pc, i am not able to access the internet. if i disable the ethernet connection having only the wireless connection, then i am able to access the internet.

Any ideas on how to proceed with this problem.

Secondly, if i am able to get internet connectivity on that pc, then how do i get other pcs on the lan to access the internet..?

OK at first when reading I immediate know why, when you have two connection to the same router for example a wireless connection and a wired connection. The wired connection (fast ethernet 100Mbps) will be used, simply because Ethernet connection have a lower metric because of it's speed and is chosen over wireless connection (802.11b and 802.11g 54Mbps). Now if the wired connection is used and incorrect IP information or bad physical connection can be blame for no connectivity. So trouble shoot the Ethernet (wired) connection.

Give us further information as stated by Ethereal_Dragon

I can give you further testing information. You can use the following ping to test your network card and ipconfig to display the IP information.

ping 127.0.0.1 will test your network card TCP/IP stack, driver, or the adapter if it's working.

ping ip address of the interface will test the connectivity of your routing table, it also tells your if the cable is plugin or function. Without a cable usually your routing table might be empty for the network or interface you try to ping.

ping default gateway test connectivity to the switch and router, it also test your network cable.

ping ip address of website ensure connectivity to the out side (Internet) and conformed that your router has a default route setup correctly.

ping dns to ensure a domain name server is available to resolve domain names to ip addresses

ping url of website test DNS and Internet connectivity.

Open up web browser and type in the URL to test the application layer, which is usually the last step if all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom