What is the "Step Up Program"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

konvick619

Baseband Member
i hear people talking about a "step up program" for video cards and i was wonderin exactly what it is. thanks

Its where companies will offer you to upgrade your videocard for a discounted price within a certain amount of time. I know that EVGA does it, not sure exactly how it works, I'm sure that each company that does it is different, though. BAsically, you have a certain amount of time in which you can upgrade your existing video card to a better one. But the old one has to be in working condition.

EVGA is the only company to offer the step-up program you buy a card made by them you have 90 days to upgrade and just pay the difference to the better card. You can buy a 7900Gt for $120 and upgrade within 90 days to a 8800 gtx ($300) and just pay the difference in price e.g. $180

Yea the Step-Up has it perks but the problem is that your out of a card for 4-6 weeks while you are getting your new card so you need a backup.

Also I wish i could get a 7900GT for 120 bucks haha.

i dont like the idea of goin 4-6 weeks without a gcard. ill stick with bfg ova evga.

p.s. i likethe guy on the front of the card lol

i dont like the idea of goin 4-6 weeks without a gcard. ill stick with bfg ova evga.

p.s. i likethe guy on the front of the card lol

You don't have to do the step-up. EVGA still are renowned as the best Nvidia card makers out there so they are always a good choice regardless.

on top of the waiting time is the price difference...you dont get the cards for the same amount as you would from say, newegg. they are more expensive. the last time i checked...A LOT more expensive. like buying an 8800 card from dell or something.

I paid $3.88 to step up from a 7950GT to an 8800GTS, and while it is true the 8800 is more expensive than retail, I'd estimate current resale value of the 7950 at around $150, maybe $200 at the most. Backing a card with what is effectively a full refund with a small catch for 3 months after purchase is more than enough.

Turn around time is about 2 weeks, nowhere near 4-6 weeks and I have no idea where that number came from.

a new 7950gt can be had for 200.00, so resale should be considerably less..? but in any event,
how does 3.88 even cover the shipping? is the 8800gts current retail price less than the 7950's resale price?
and when i checked into changing my 7900gs for a 7950gt, it was a lot more than four bucks...enough to put me off of doing it, and i'm not hurting for cash. granted, that was awhile back...with the newer cards it may be a viable option.
but i still say not having a graphics card for two weeks, or four weeks, or sixteen days SUCKS. jmo, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom