ntfs.sys corrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewGS

Baseband Member
Early last week I ran a Windows update on my Compaq SR1625NX and upon restart it would not boot Windows. I tried "last good configuration", "debug mode" and "safe mode" to no avail. It always restarts while booting Windows. I tried both the built-in "recovery console" and the recovery discs I bought from HP/Compaq upon the advise of an online support person. When loading the recovery console either way the blue screen pops up and tells me there is a problem with the "ntfs.sys" file.

I pulled the hard drive and put it in an external case to get all my files, links and software off but both computers I hooked it up to immediately crashed and would only boot Windows after I unhooked the affected hard drive.

I keep tabs on updates, run anti-virus (Avira AntiVir), firewall (Sygate) and spyware (SpywareBlaster) software all the time and use WinCleaner to clean up temp. folders, the registry, etc.

BTW, I don't have a copy of XP Home to try a repair install from.

Any ideas?

OK. So I downloaded Knoppix and ran ntfsfix on the hard drive. Now I can get to the recovery console. My concern now is will running a "standard recovery" truly maintain all my pictures, mp3s, documents, etc.? The other option is "full system recovery" that definately wipes the data away, but they claim "standard recovery" will save my "data files".

I just need some support before I hit "enter".

you could try just expanding the file from the windows cd, I expect its in a cab somewhere.

And yes, if you do a "repair" installation your program installations and datafiles will be unaffected - however you will probably lose your windows updates.

Oh well, I just lost the last 7 years of my life.

Everything.

WTF! what did you do dude? You do know how do do a repair install right? What did you do? format the drive? - you can recover the data if thats what you did so don't dispair too much.

OK, here's what happened. I used Knoppix to try and run chkdsk as per some instructions I found when searching for the ntfs.sys fix. While doing this fixed the ntfs.sys issue, I still couldn't boot Windows.

I decided before running the Compaq System Recovery to try and hook the hard drive back up to another machine via an external enclosure and USB so I could try to save my files. When I hooked it up it no longer killed the machine, but the hard drive was constantly busy (light was flickering, etc.). I get a ballon warning me that the "delayed write" had failed even though I had not yet tried to copy any data. I went to move my files which were on the desktop and the "Compaq_Owner" folder showed to be empty and "Locked". I tried to open the "Windows" folder and got the same error.

That freaked me out so I decided to just put it back into the original machine and run the "Standard Recovery" which is supposed to just repair Windows and leave the data unaffected. Well, I get to the recovery screen and there is no longer an option for "Standard Recovery", only the destructive recovery. In haste and rage I decided to go ahead, I was sick of dealing with the problems. The recovery window showed thye progress, but it only took about eight minutes and never said anything about formatting the hard drive, only "Restoring Windows XP". After the "recovery" I searched for any of my files and none were there.

I'm not too "computer savvy" beyond very basic issues, but after reading the Wiki definition of partitions could it be that my files are on another partition on the drive?

I guess it's time for me to read up on data recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom