Intel's 45 nm dual-core desktop processor entering final testing phase...

Status
Not open for further replies.
no L3 cache though? proberly wouldn't need it anyway since FSB is still low.

L3 barely makes any difference. When Intel added L3 cache memory to the Pentium 4 extreme edition it barely made any difference in terms of performance.

However, the L2 cache memory in Penryn is more than the L2 and L3 cache memory of Agena and Kuma combined !!!

The FSB is not so important, because the current Core 2 duo's have only 1066MHz FSB and it beats Athlon by far, thought the current AMD's have 2000MHz HT

By the way, the only difference between Kuma and the current athlon is that Kuma have L3 cache and higher HT speed. But I don't see how those will make any big difference.

But the difference between Penryn and Conroe is that Penryn have more L2 cache, higher clock speed, higher FSB, 45nm and SSE4 instructions

However, the L2 cache memory in Penryn is more than the L2 and L3 cache memory of Agena and Kuma combined !!!

The FSB is not so important, because the current Core 2 duo's have only 1066MHz FSB and it beats Athlon by far, thought the current AMD's have 2000MHz HT
You haven't a clue what the differences between AMD's chips and Intel's chips are, do you?

By the way, the only difference between Kuma and the current athlon is that Kuma have L3 cache and higher HT speed. But I don't see how those will make any big difference.
Again, you have no idea...

L3 barely makes any difference. When Intel added L3 cache memory to the Pentium 4 extreme edition it barely made any difference in terms of performance.

But the difference between Penryn and Conroe is that Penryn have more L2 cache, higher clock speed, higher FSB, 45nm and SSE4 instructions

L3 cache will make all the difference if the CPU can acually utilize it. Slapping on an extra level of cache won't help you on an old CPU. You say the new Intel chips have a bigger l2 cache than the new AMD chips l2 and l3 combine but learn how cache works before saying anything. (HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works!) The Intel Itanium Servers with l3 cache is a ton better than the Xeon servers, if not correct me.

For AMD CPU's im guessing since the HT link is gonna be 4000 its gonna new another level of cache to be able to use it. Not sure how HT link works though.

The on-die memory controller used by AMD makes a major difference as well.

darksideleader,

The L3 cache memory in most of Itanium processors is 9MB and some of them 12MB

Xeon doesn't have this large amount of cache memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom