Power Supply, Enough juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
I used the power supply calculator and it came out to be 297 watts. I'm going to use an Athlon XP Barton 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+ speeds. This case that I really like comes with a 380w power supply, so would it be sufficent for the overclocking? I said the processor was a Barton 3000+ when I used the calculator. This can save me some money in the long run and I guess I could upgrade the power supply later if I had to.

uhhh if you arnt running any other fancy stuff like neon light and stuff you should be fine but i would definitly get a bigger powerpack get a 450watt and you will be set for a long long time

it`s gonna be cutting it close. I had a 380 watt (not overclocking) and I exchanged it for a 480 watt just to be safe and future proof.

The wattage of a power supply is only ONE aspect. Generic power supplies that come with cases are generally very low grade when it comes to providing enough juice on the +12v rail. Generally only 10-15 Amps. To be on the safe side, what with overclocking and all, i would consider getting an Antec TruePower power supply (330W would prolly do). and swapping it with the generic power supply on your case.

It doesnt matter if a power supply is 500Watts. If it doesnt have enough Current capacity on the seperate rails, then theres a good chance itll have a short life, and when it goes it could take your system with it...better safe than sorry

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom