Upgrading to Vista But

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time you tried ultimate, did you do a clean install of Vista, or an upgrade from a previous OS to Vista?

Yep Clean install but i was using a IDE Drive .. im now using a Sata Drive !!!! would it make any difference ?

Yes. SATA is faster and can access the info faster than a IDE drive.

Having hit the Vista wall with my mother-in-law's computer, I'll put in my own two cents.

Vista is gorgeous. And it was smooth on her machine (Compaq w/AMD3500+, 1 gig RAM, 250 gig SATA, NVIDIA 6100 chipset). The problem was the lack of drivers for her peripherals and the incompatibility of 75% of the software she needed. The problem was not Vista itself, but everything that needed to work in/with it.

My personal quirk was that everything had been moved. I went over to set up her computer and removed the crapware. I had a heck of a time finding all the settings to get Vista to work the way she wanted it to work. I understand that M$ wanted to put things where they "logically" belong, but I've been working with XP for five years, so come on.

All in all, Vista works. There are some minor things that a service pack will cure. The biggest drawback for Vista right now is the lack of driver support and the inability of some things to work in Vista, neither of which is Vista's fault.

If I were to go to Vista, all of my hardware would work. My printer (an HP all in one) would work. My internet would work. But I don't have a reason to shell out the $$$ for it.

Gee, two cents buys a lot these days, huh?

Yeh Luckily for me ..Vista Installs all my Hardware ... i just need to install Sound Drivers anD GFX Card Drivers and all my software works fine ... had to run some in xp mode but works fine !!! i still keep XP for Games as they lagg but thats down to my GFX Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom