Looking to build my own computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durftard

In Runtime
Hey guys, birthday and graduation are coming up so I've come into a little bit o' cash to upgrade my computer! My current machine was built by a friend of mine, and I'd have him help with this one, but he's no longer as patient. Budget is about $1000 USD, and I want this to last as long as possible.

I use my computer for everyday gaming. While I don't play any high high end graphic games, I do play games like EverQuest, EverQuest2, Day of Defeat(1.3), Counter Strike:Source, etc.

Here's what I've been looking at so far...

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Never had an AMD processor, so I chose the first decent looking Core 2 Duo. This will be an upgrade to my 3Ghz Pentium 4, correct?

Motherboard
JetWay J965GDAG-LF LGA 775 Intel G965 Express
Newegg.com - JetWay J965GDAG-LF LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

My friend told me, while a microATX board does fit into an ATX case, that I should use a full-size ATX board instead of the microATX. He could not give me a definite answer why.

I want a board with 4 slots for RAM, for upgrading reasons.

Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets - This particularly worried me. I have no idea about timings on RAM, or the voltage required for it.

Memory Standard DDR2 800 - does this mean it only supports DDR2 800? only supports UP to DDR2 800? is designed for DDR2 800, but could handle the faster stuff?

RAM
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I have my heart set on 2gb of RAM. I haven't done any research on dual channeling as of yet, but I'd like to use 2x 1GB sticks to take advantage of dual channeling.

As stated in the Motherboard section, I needed to find 5-5-5, 1.8V JEDEC approved RAM. I couldn't find anything on NewEgg about JEDEC approval, and I don't know much about timings or voltage, so I just looked for a cheap set of 2x 1GB sticks of RAM. Would these work?

Video Card
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

This is the piece I'm most 'iffy' about. I've never had a nVIDIA card, but I was told there are no RADEON cards out that support DX10, and I'd like to have a video card that can handle newer games.

The RADEON card I was looking at was a HIS HiTech Radeon x1650 Pro 512 MB. I ended up deciding against it because it lacked DX10 capabilities.

I was looking at a GeForce 8600GTS, but one of the comments said that there was a huge performance gap between the 8800GTS and the 8600GTS, and it was worth upgrading to a 8800GTS because it only costs ~$50 USD more. Is this true?

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CD/DVD drive
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 1.5MB Cache
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 1.5MB Cache SATA Combo Drive - OEM

Interface ::: SATA - is this the same as the SATA 3.0Gb/s on the harddrive? meaning... will this plug into my motherboard okay? :p and in the same manner?

Power Supply
TOPOWER XPT Series TOP-500XPT ATX12V 500W Power Supply
Newegg.com - TOPOWER XPT Series TOP-500XPT ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CE, CB, FCC, - Retail

I was extremely iffy about this too. I read the stickied guide about PSU's, and according to that this will work for the 8800GTS, correct? (16+15 > 26)

Output +3.3V@28A,+5V@50A,+12V1@15A,+12V2@16A,
-12V@1 A,+5VSB@2.5A
The 8800GTS requires 12V@26A. My major concern is... if the video card is eatting up 26/31 of the output, will the rest of the computer function?

Also... PCI-E Connectors ::: 1 x 6Pin ... do PCI-E cards require their own power cables? I asked around and got mixed responses.

SLI Support ::: No - Wikipedia says this is nVIDIA's technique for using 2 video cards at once? I don't need this correct? I don't plan on doing anything super-high end graphics wise.

Case
XION Solaris XON-403
Newegg.com - XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

If I end up changing my mind and switching from an ATX motherboard to a microATX motherboard, will the microATX still fit in this case? and will an ATX PSU power a microATX board correctly?

Monitor
Acer AL1916Ab Black 19" 8ms LCD
Newegg.com - Acer AL1916Ab Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 - Retail

My heart is not set on any specific monitor. I just want a 19 inch LCD. I chose the cheapest one NewEgg carried :p.

Mouse
LOGISYS Computer M-COUPE MS608BK Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse
Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer M-COUPE MS608BK Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Mouse - Retail

Chose this one as kind of a joke(it's cute :p). I've had bad experiences with wireless mice, but I've never used a USB mouse. Is there any benefit to using USB over PS/2, or vice versa?

Keyboard
Linkworld LK7010A-C2222-PSII Black 108 Normal Keys PS/2
Newegg.com - Linkworld LK7010A-C2222-PSII Black 108 Normal Keys PS/2 Slim Keyboard - Retail

Same question as mouse: USB vs PS/2?

Operating System
I'm not all that big on operating systems, and I'll probably end up using XP Pro at first on this machine. But I want the ability to upgrade to Windows Vista, and none of my friends know anything about Vista. I did a little reading in the Vista thread on these forums, and read about the different versions of Vista. My main concern is which version is the equiv. of XP Pro? My dad manages our network at home, and he absolutely hates XP Home because it "doesn't have the networking capabilities of Pro," and I want to be able to have my internet connection :p. Since I'm still a student, I am a member of Microsoft's MSDNAA program, where they provide software to students. If I can order an OS, which version of Vista should I aim for(and be able to network comfortably with)?

Thanks in advance for any/all replies/suggestions.

I haven't built a desktop in about 2 years so my knowledge on hardware is way outdated. Fortunately there are a bunch of sites dedicated to building your own pc. ExtremeTech is one and a great resource. You could also check out Geek.com. This is the site I first found that helped me build my first machine back in 98. Each site should have links for places to buy. Good luck man.

No, the 20+4 pin, is if you have an older motherboard, that has a 20-pin connector. The motherboard I suggested, is 24 pin so, just use all the 20+4 pin.

Very cool :)

I was wondering if theres a huge performance difference between the 18.6ghz Core 2 Duo and the 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo? A performance difference worth the extra $60 anyway...

Again, I won't be playing very graphic intensive games or anything, and at most I'll be running something like... WinAmp and AIM in the background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom