Please Help With Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
maroon1 said:
If I were I would get 8800GTS 320MB
So says the resident NVIDIA fanboy.

If you go NVFIDIA, be sure to uninstall the ATI drivers, cechk your hard drive for any folders left behind, and use a registry cleaner to remove any entries for them. I am not kidding... ATI's drivers like to hang around, and they don't play nice with NVIDIA cards (been there, done that).

If you choose to stay with ATI, you're good to go. Just update your drivers and you're off.

So i have decided to buy :

1x 500 Watt PSU
1x 1GB RAM (And make them 2GB)
1x Ati Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB PCI

---------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

My Proccesor is an Athlon AMD 64 3200+ running at 2.00Ghz..

There isnt a big chance of a "bottleneck" here is there?

Thanks

If you are getting a PCI-E card the X1950XT would be better than the X1950PRO 512. It is a lot more powerful.

1. Does the X1950XT come with 512MB?
2. Will my Processor speed support this card to give the best performance?

1. Does the X1950XT come with 512MB?
2. Will my Processor speed support this card to give the best performance?

Yes it does but the 256mb version is what is cheap. Understand that the X1950XT 256MB is still faster than most cards with 512mb. Don't worry about the amount of memory a card has that much since some cards are plenty fast enough to where more memory is not "needed"

You will see quite a noticeable increase with an X1950XT 256mb over an X1950PRO 512...

AntonOle,

Video memory has noting to do with performance. A 256MB X1950XT is better than 512MB X1950Pro. However, 320MB 8800GTS is better than both and it supports DX10

DX10 is useless for Win XP though right? Im not switching to Vista, not yet..

By the way, what is video memory for then?

Thanks

DX10 is useless for Win XP though right? Im not switching to Vista, not yet..

By the way, what is video memory for then?

Thanks

Yes you right it is useless without vista and it's also 80 bucks more. video memory is used to store the textures of coarse but 256mb is enough to offer good gaming if memory clock is fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom