Computer doesn't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Laymon

Baseband Member
Hi there,
my friends computer was working fine. She went out for a couple of hours and when she came back it was off. On trying to switch it back on nothing happens.
She brought it round to my house to have a quick look and there was no BIOS beeps at all and no signal getting to the monitor. All the fans are working and the hard drive is humming along but nothing else happens.
I removed the BIOS battery (eprom?) for 15 minutes but still nothing.
The computer is a standard un-modified Compaq Presario S7300UK model.

Any advice as to what the problem is ?

Other than being a Compaq, I am not sure. It could be a virus that attacked the BIOS. It almost sounds like the BIOS has been deleted or corrupted. Sorry couldn't be more help, keep us posted.

Hi there,
sorry for the delay in replying.
I removed all the add-on cards and then the memory but still no BIOS post :(

Bit the bullet and bought a new mobo and cpu, didn't connect anything to it 'cept the power cords and front panel pins, guess what, just as lifeless as the old one, no post :(

Turns out to be the PSU, the old one at 450W wasn't powerful enough to boot. Bought a 500W version and it works.
That however isn't the end of the story:-
Windows gets to the green scrolly bar thing right at the beginning and the system re-boots. This is constant. Safe Mode tells me to allow or stop "xmasbus.sys" and no matter what option I choose, the computer re-boots :(
Did a check online via my comp and this file has something to do with Alcohol-120 and a few people have had booting problems because of it.
xmasbus.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers
Does anyone know how to delete this file without being able to get into Windows ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom