My HIS X800XL graphics card fan stopped spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

[SF]MKM

In Runtime
Alright, so I download this fan/temp monitor software called speedfan 4.28 and run it. I get these stats

Sys Fan: 0 Rpm
CPU0 Fan: 2550 Rpm
Aux0 Fan: 0 Rpm
CPU1 Fan: 0 Rpm
Aux1 Fan: 0Rpm

So I assume the sys is 0 because my case fans are antec tricool fans and use manual 3-speed switches and ain't really connected to the BIOS; that the CPU0 is my CPU fan and that everything is fine with it; Aux0 would be the mobo fan but I don't have one on my P5LD2 and that the remaining 2 would have been extra fans which I don't have.

I set my CPU0 to 1900 Rpm to balance the noise/temperature and that's pretty much all I do.

Then when I check my GPU I discover that it isn't spinning anymore. I tried uninstalling this monitor software and even uninstalling the videocard and re-installing it with new drivers but still, it won't spin. I also tried to run counter strike source for a 30 minutes to get it hot and make sure that it isn't just idling, but still, it won't spin.

so what do you think, might this software have screwed up some drivers so I have to re-install windows or is the GPU just not hot enough for the fan to start?

1900rpm is too low for a CPU, the average RPM for a CPU is 2700RPM, you can do serious damage if it overheats.

For the GPU fan, can you spin it freely when you move it with your fingers?

AMDScorPiO what kind of themp where you pulling with the stock heatsink/fan for your 3500+ overclocked?

Yes, it moves freely and very well when I blow at it or spin it with my finger.

No, it does not spin on boot, I've restarted several times and it has never spinned.

My CPU (P4 630 3.0ghz) is at 45 degrees C at 1990 Rpm right now and I usually raise it to 2500 when I play a game. Before I started to adjust my fan speeds it keept running at 68 degrees C with 1100 Rpm (for about a year lol).

Edit: I've clocked my GPU down to 200/275 and it's stable at 64 degrees now, is that too high?

you should right now clock it down to default, either the fan is dead or the video card is faulty. you shouldn't overclock your GPU especially in this situation if your planning for it to last another month

yes, default is like 400/500 so I clocked it down.

When I start up my computer today the fan is spinning perfectly, just as it did yesterday but if I now reboot my computer it will stop to spin, or at least that's how it was yesterday. So to make it spin again I have to wait a night before rebooting, like 8 hours or so.

Now, this is kinda wierd, does anyone have any idea of what is causing this behaivour?

I uninstalled SpeedFan and it works alright now. It probably messed my BIOS/GPU settings up for that fan somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom