Missing AGP port??

Status
Not open for further replies.

oaktree5489

Baseband Member
I've had my dell 2350 (i think they've stopped making them) for about a year and a half now and i recently bought (Today that is, 6/15/04) a 128 MB ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card ($200!) Very nice indeed but the problem is, is that i don't have a stupid agp slot in my dell!!!! I know some about comps but i didn't really know too much about this until today (after i researched the thing a little bit earlier today) Now that i know what i'm missing (by the way my gateway (which is broken by the way, no surprise)has an agp port) i can look closer at my comp and i can see that the agp port is missing! Not missing exactly, i don't think it ever had one anyway, but where the agp port is supposed to be there are couple rows of contacts where one would clip in and holes too. It even has a removeable cover (u no, the little metal thing in front of the pci ports, too) which is in-line w/ the "invisable" agp port (i know this because there's four covers and only 3 pci ports) (put it together) Where the h*ll is it!!! I've searched the internet an i can't find a removeable agp port on the market! Mabey i didn't look hard enough or mabey this is how dell makes all of their PC's and they just clip it in if u order it. (By the way i've already checked if the gateway's comes off and it don't) So if anyone can tell me where to get one or any help to this disaster i would be very, very grateful. (if u could hury, cuz in 30 days i'm gonna have to take the card back if i can't get it to work)
Thanks in advance! - Jeff

Well, unfortunately you have intergrated vid on you MBD and no extra AGP slot like most newer boards do. The boards of old that were intergrated didnt (at least from what I've seen, could be wrong) have AGP if it was onboard video. As far as maybe putting one in, that possible. It looks like there is a way to put it in if you know enough about them. All depends if the bus is available for that missing slot. If there is a conv card for AGP on PCI I wouldn't use it because you'll be limited by the PCI Bus. So, unless the AGP Bus is available to an inserted AGP slot, I would return the card and look for something else.

EDIT: Just found out, there IS an PCI to AGP converter. Just do a google for "AGP to PCI converter". However, I would return it and just get a PCI version of this card or one comparable. I'm sure something out there exists. I would assume the converter is a riser card that has a port that will physically fit an AGP card, but you wont get the benefits of the AGP speed, at best according to other sources, you may get a 1xAGP. Return it. Get a PCI version, thats the best bet.

I checked the MBD. I wouldnt do it. Doesn't look possible, those arent really holes, but just dotted lines. There is none.

There is a product that allows him to do it. It plugs into a PCI slot and allows a AGP card to be plugged into it. Thing is, you dont get the benefits of the AGP bus, so its really a waste of money. Trade it in/return it for a PCI version. Otherwise you'll spend more for the AGP ver AND on top of that have to buy the PCI card to adapt it and its just not worth it. Here is one sight, if your curious:

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=230

i WOULDNT TAKE THE CARD BACK BUT I WOULD BUY A NEW MOTHERBOARD BECAUSE YOU NEVER WANT STOCK THINGS FROM DELL PLUS YOU CAN GET A GOOD MOTHERBOARD FOR REAL CHEAP THESE DAYS AND THATS A GOOD VIDEO CARD.

agp slot is located above the pci slots! man that friken SUCKS!!! i know how it is i was in your situation once too!!! had to buy a whole new mobo/vid card which i reccomend you do because if you dont have an AGP you will not be able to run any of the future games. but pretty nice card a bought!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom