vista.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I just got my new p5ne sli mobo, 4GB patriot DDR2 800 ram, and an e6600 processor along with vista 64 bit.
i have done nothing to the system except update drivers, and that was a hassle because every 10 minutes something would happen where i would have to reset the computer. there are constant hang ups and blue screens and all sorts of b/s. i was told i'd have problems with x64 and i was (or thought i was) prepared for it... but this is just unreasonable. this OS is un-usable with the frequency of these lock ups.

what can i do? like i said this is a clean install (1-2 hours ago...)

Did you just build this system as well? It could be a hardware problem just as easy as an OS problem. I would say try a quick install of XP if you have a copy lying around and see if your problems are also present. If they are you know most likely it is a hardware issue...shoot even a knoppix boot would tell you a lot..if it locks up after 10-15 min of use there then you can for sure blame it on hardware.

It is new, 64bit is not widely supported by drivers. Some guys just don't have good luck with it and put it on the shelf till drivers are more reliable.

Sorry for the crappy post last night. I was tired, and emotionally distressed over the fact that my $800 purchase was non-functional. Lol, maybe thats an exaggeration.. but yeah.
It turns out (after some googling and forum wading) that I need to set the memory timings manually. So I set it to 5-5-5-12 (which is stock for my Newegg.com - Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail) but when I ran memtest, it still gave me errors. So I went back and set the CPC? CMD? whatever it's called I set it to 2C. Now it works, but am I not getting all the performance I should? or is 2C normal for this RAM? I'm not going to overclock until I get my watercooling stuff delivered.. so maybe that will help.. but maybe not.. I'm thinking maybe I should get a refund for this RAM and get something better... is that even possible to do through Newegg?

Yes you can RMA your RAM. You have to contact NewEgg to do so.

Just to forewarn you. Vista 64 Bit will not run insigned drivers. If you do end up using any it will give you nothign but hassles.

Uhm.. okay so it was working fine for like 2-3 hours after I set timings and whatnot... then BAM BLUE SCREEN!!!!. But this was not an ordinary blue screen. this blue screen wiped out my RAID array. So now what am I expected to do? It checks RAID arrays before I can even get to the BIOS menu, or boot off of a CD/DVD. So short of resetting the CMOS (which I have no clue where that's at on this new mobo.. and I'm too lazy to find out)... So does this sound Vista related? I really don't want to go back to XP... or is this hardware related?

edit: actually... wow i think one of my raptors failed... gg... *dismayed*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom