Gaming- Need Hardware suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasoN

Solid State Member
hey guys.

I mainly play counter strike: source, But i am getting fed up with the lack of fps, i usually have around 30 and i get alot of lag when theres alot of things going on.

I'm looking to upgrade my system, but i'm unsure of what to upgrade, so i thought i'll post my specs here and ask you guys whats most vital to upgrade, i mean i just need to know what is the MAIN thing in my specs i need to upgrade;

----------------------------------------

Monitor: HP Pavilion M703 : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

//Scroll down for specs ( i've had this monitor for 4 years.. ;l and i feel it
might not be helping my fps at all. )

Motherboard: ASUS K8V-MX : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

//Bought this not long back.. Local computer shop reccomended it to me along with the processor i bought from then.

Ram: Kingston DRAM 512 MB PC2-4200 : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

//This ram was pretty cheap i got it from a local computer shop, Not sure if the link is the correct ram but it's pretty much the same, Also i have 2 of these sticks, Wich brings my ram to 1024mb.

Harddrive: 38.2Gb Maxtor i believe..

//It's so old i cant even find a link for it... had it for 4 years

Video Card: Amazon.co.uk: NVidia GeForce 6600GT 256MB DDR3 8x AGP Video Card w/TV-Out: Electronics & Photo

//Bought this a while back.. served me well and i know it's a little outdated.

Proccessor: AMD Sempron 3300+ 2 GHz processor : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

//Got this at the local computer shop they reccomended it for my mobo

//Thanks a lot for your replys!!!!!

wow bad sites to choose there for one amazon charges you generally a £20 pound premium just because it comes from them.

heres some good english tech sites complete your entire builds on each one and see which comes out cheapest I would reccomend kustompcs.co.uk they have a limited selection of hardware but literally the best tech support ever if you need a special part or want to negotiate a slight drop in price email the sales team and they generally reply within an hour to help you over your issue now thats service!!!

Overclockers UK, dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, Ebuyer - Cheap Computers Laptops Digital Cameras Televisions, Virus Scan, Kustom PC's

for parts I need a budget but I would say this
mobo: am2+ socket mobo by msi they always make good amd board
cpu: amdx2 socket am2 3800+
ram: geil,ocz, kingston, g-skill are all good brands you will need 2gb preferably
hdd:320gb seagate barracuda
psu: 500watt antec, ocz, coolermaster, enermax and silverstone are reliable brands (don't cheap out on the psu it supports the entire system and if it fails it can destroy the entire system through a power surge)
graphics card: 7900gt (buy with evga and use the step up program to upgrade in a few weeks when you have more money to a 8800gts 320mb)

Thanks for the reply but i think you misread my post.

wow bad sites to choose there for one amazon charges you generally a £20 pound premium just because it comes from them.

heres some good english tech sites complete your entire builds on each one and see which comes out cheapest I would reccomend kustompcs.co.uk they have a limited selection of hardware but literally the best tech support ever if you need a special part or want to negotiate a slight drop in price email the sales team and they generally reply within an hour to help you over your issue now thats service!!!

Overclockers UK, dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, Ebuyer - Cheap Computers Laptops Digital Cameras Televisions, Virus Scan, Kustom PC's

for parts I need a budget but I would say this
mobo: am2+ socket mobo by msi they always make good amd board
cpu: amdx2 socket am2 3800+
ram: geil,ocz, kingston, g-skill are all good brands you will need 2gb preferably
hdd:320gb seagate barracuda
psu: 500watt antec, ocz, coolermaster, enermax and silverstone are reliable brands (don't cheap out on the psu it supports the entire system and if it fails it can destroy the entire system through a power surge)
graphics card: 7900gt (buy with evga and use the step up program to upgrade in a few weeks when you have more money to a 8800gts 320mb)

well I do realise you only wanted to upgrade but your rig is pretty old you can plow more money into but AGP is the old standard and is being phased out plus you have to pay more to buy the cards now then there pci-express counterparts. Ram is old standard and in around 7 months time will be 3 generations old standard lol. hdd is old and probably prohibiting performance in games plus I have a laptop with a 40gb hdd don't you find it frustrating how quickly it gets filled up maybe it is just because I have 4003 songs which uses up 16gb of space lol

You should definitely upgrade your RAM to at least 1GB. You could step up the graphics card to a Geforce 7 series, but the 6600GT seems sufficient. I would say if you need to upgrade only one thing it would be RAM.

//This ram was pretty cheap i got it from a local computer shop, Not sure if the link is the correct ram but it's pretty much the same, Also i have 2 of these sticks, Wich brings my ram to 1024mb.

Please read ;D

well if you buy two more then you will have 2gb which is reccomended for gaming 512mb-1gb is only for low gaming and general usage e.g. internet, msn, anti-virus.

but as I have said already you would be better with a complete rig revamp the rig I suggested will cost around £350 +OS which is quite allot of money but it will be able to play CS:S no issues bring your overall productivity up due to quicker cpu and more ram and a quicker hdd that rig prebuilt will probably cost in the region of £500 and will be limited both or overclocking and upgrading components it is really simpleto build a pc now wiring involved it is just plug the cables in the right socket for my build and screw around 25 screws on

Yeah i'm aware i need a new rig badly, but i dont have the money for a completely new rig, That's why im asking what i should upgrade? Whats making my pc lack the most? I cant really afford a new pc at the moment

well if you want to cut corners you can buy a new mobo =£60 for a good one cpu=£50 1gb stick of ram (dual channel later to make 2gb) = £50 then use a pci-express to agp converter this will give you possibilities without a huge cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom