Getting low FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse7

In Runtime
Heya, the past 3-4 weeks ive noticed a large decrease in overall FPS. I went from averaging 20FPS to 5-10, making it very difficult to play games.
I have a 3.2 ghz intel pentium 4 540, ASUS P5GDI-VM, 1gig of ram, and a 7950GT gpu. I have heard that the drop in FPS could be due to needing to get new sound card drivers, but i woudnt know where to get them since i use a integrated sound card. I also heard something about updating bios.. but i dont know how to do that either, i havent updated bios for about a year since ive had this PC. So any help or reasoning why I could of gotten such a big drop in FPS would be helpful, thanks

edit: i will be back to check this around 3PST, so sorry for the lack of responces until then.

Sound drivers won't get you low FPS. BIOS might but probably not.

Run spyware and virus scans.

Alright, how would i go about changing the bios then? and I have run virus scans and numerous spyware scans, I havent found anything to slow down MY pc yet.

Heya, the past 3-4 weeks ive noticed a large decrease in overall FPS. I went from averaging 20FPS to 5-10, making it very difficult to play games.
I have a 3.2 ghz intel pentium 4 540, ASUS P5GDI-VM, 1gig of ram, and a 7950GT gpu. I have heard that the drop in FPS could be due to needing to get new sound card drivers, but i woudnt know where to get them since i use a integrated sound card. I also heard something about updating bios.. but i dont know how to do that either, i havent updated bios for about a year since ive had this PC. So any help or reasoning why I could of gotten such a big drop in FPS would be helpful, thanks

edit: i will be back to check this around 3PST, so sorry for the lack of responces until then.

You went from 20??? That is horrible already.... Your FPS (for good game play) should be at 35 at WORST and preferrably 60 or more....

Try these first...

1.) Download SpeedFan (google it) and then post your CPU and SYSTEM temperatures afterwords... I'm betting that your system is too hot...

2.) Get some compressed air and spray out the inside of the computer (get that dust out)...

3.) Run adaware and antivirus software...

4.) Defrag hard drive

5.) Download ATF (it cleans up files... One click, real simple)

6.) Get another gig of ram (1 gig is minimal on a lot of intense games)

Tell me if any of those helped...

You went from 20??? That is horrible already.... Your FPS (for good game play) should be at 35 at WORST and preferrably 60 or more....

Try these first...

2.) Get some compressed air and spray out the inside of the computer (get that dust out)...

3.) Run adaware and antivirus software...

4.) Defrag hard drive

6.) Get another gig of ram (1 gig is minimal on a lot of intense games)

Tell me if any of those helped...

Its a bit late for me, i will do everything you mentioned tomorrow when i get home from school (1'ish PST)
2- I have a can, ill do that tomorrow.
3- I run 4 different spyware/adaware scans and norton virus scan at least once a week, just did a new set of scans today found nothing.
4- Also did that today, didnt help
6- I only play WoW, its a pretty low demanding game, I know plenty of people who run the game fine with just 1gig.
but thanks for the feedback, ill get back to you tomorrow at 1'ish PST
Edit: I have stock fans on my CPU and GPU and 1 stock case fan, I actually have my case open and have a desk fan pointing into it (I dont know how to install a case fan, so its the best i could do :( )

System: 36
CPU: 86
AUX: 59

I did get ATF, got a good bit of free space from it, Ill see about getting that dust out today.

I did get ATF, got a good bit of free space from it, Ill see about getting that dust out today.

EEEK!! If that really is your CPU temp then its WAY to high, even for a Pentium 4. Either your motherboard temp sensors are off or something is wrong with your cooler.

got out some of the dust, only had 1 can but most is gone now, seems to of helped my CPU temp, sits at around 65 now, but im guessing that still too high ><

edit: so would you guys suggest getting a better CPU fan then, would it made a noticable difference? also would it be difficult to install it? i dont usually do techy stuff

First off... These temps you posted are in CELCIUS correct? If so, you are really over heating.... You want to max your CPU at no more then 70C (preferrably under 65C)...

From what you posted before about not knowing how to install a PC fan, well that is about the most basic thing you can do......If you don't know how to do that, you best take your computer to a repair shop and get it checked out.... You might want ask them to check to see if the cpu,etc is running too hot........ Then ask (if they say it is) about an aftermarket heatsink for cpu to help in cooling........ Lastly, ask if you have good case air flow...

Also from reading your above posts, you say you only have 1 case fan... Wow... You probably have really bad air flow in your system... You want to have fresh air run (intake) from front or near there to back and top (exhaust)...

My system fans:

1 x 80mm fan (intake front) 34cfm
1 x 50mm fan (intake front) ??cfm
2 x 25mm fan (intake front) ??cfm
1 x 80mm fan (side exhaust) 34cfm
1 x 80mm fan (rear exhaust) 34cfm
1 x 80mm fan (top exhaust) 60cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom