CPU Temperature runs at 60c while IDLE and up to 80c

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well...what is your room temp and case ambient temp? These directly affect what your CPU and GPU temps are....

Also, arctic silver 5 doesn't work instantly....it takes some time (up to 2 months) for it to settle...its best to work it hot and cold, so turn off the computer when you're not using it.

Otherwise yes, sounds like you are getting faulty readings...

50C is 122F and 70C is 158C I'd say its to hot to tell. However, I've never done this nor heard of anyone doing this, but try putting a meat thermometer or something on the heatsink lol, just something else to try to find the temp. I know you said you keep the room cool, but what temp is it exactly? Also, When my case fans quit working my temps skyrocketed (even without the side panel on) from 35c at idle to around 47c idle temps so if the readings are accurate then that definitely has something to do with it.

Could be the processor is faulty, probably more likely that the sensor is faulty but I never assume that, or possibly the mobo or RAM is faulty. - I've seen all of these things cause overheat.

From what you're saying though I think those temps are accurate - Have you tried clearing the CMOS? sometimes incorrect BIOS settings can cause overheat. Make triply sure that the Heatsink is correctly seated (no.1 cause of very high temps) and be sure to only use a tiny amount of AS5.

It is very possible to tell the difference between 50c and 70c - One is warm the other is hot - there is a very distinct difference to the touch. I have plenty of experience troubleshooting 2 CPU mobos where one CPU was overheating and the other running at normal temps.

yes, i did a test and cooked my old p3 to about 75C and touched it. nice blister.

my amd on the other hand runs at a nice 24C idle, 32C load, and its actually cool to the touch, tho its the outside fin, at the top....

so i guess 50 would be like touching the hood of a car after a nice trip down the freeway, and 70 would be like touching the motor.

nothing is wrong with your cpu, thats normal for that generation of intel processors, the 805D smithfield idles around 55oC at 2.66 ghz, therefore to see around 60 is actually okay, dont waste anymore money on cooling and go to sleep sound for once ;)

to follow up on this a little more...I decided to try and re apply the AS5 another way, with the credit card, but a thinner coat, almost transparent. I booted up and I was at 90c:eek: :eek: so I shutdown and pulled the HS and the bottom of the heatsink had a little AS5 on it on the sides and the center was CLEAN, it looked like it never even touched the heat spreader (cpu)....I know I installed the Zalman 9500 perfectly...But for some reason it looks like the center of the Zalman is not making contact with the heat spreader...

What gives??

dented cpu? or copper base of zalman, get a ruler and see if any of them are misaligned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom