Display cutting out frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotdot

Beta member
Hi there,
At first my counter-strike was starting to lag very badly after not having problems with it before, I tried reinstalling the game a number of times howver nothing happened, though my cs source and dod source which require alot higher specifications work fine. All of a sudden when I boot my computer the monitor cuts out when it gets to the Windows XP boot screen and I have to turn the computer off and back on a number of times before I can get to my login screen without it cutting off. Also when my computer goes into sleep for a long period of time the display will cut off after coming back on for a second. Note I have all the latest video card drivers installed. This problem points straight to my graphics card, so I installed a perfectly working older graphics card from my other computer, and had problems with that too, which is leading me to believe it could be something else! problem is I dont have a clue what to do now..
help would be appreciated
thanks

my hardware specs are the following:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1.5gb ram
GeCube Radeon 9600 Pro
Gigabye GA-K8NS Pro Mobo

by the way going a bit offtopic, I have two sticks of ram, a 512mb and 1gb stick, I have the 512 installed into the first slot. I was wondering if it makes any difference which slots the larger and smaller sticks are installed in. thanks

ati 9600? Maybe a higher Graphics card would be allot better and try switching to some other RAM that could be the problem also, might be defective or going out and yes put the 1gig stick first and then the 512 second. Check out your monitor also.

Stevo808

Have you tried with just the 1 gig stick in? Have you cleaned the fans with compressed air lately, possibly overheating on the graphics card.

hi there, thanks for the responses.
I switched the ram around so that the 1gb stick was in the first slot and had removed the 512mb stick. The system beep turned into an unusually long beep and the display did not show anything at all, so I put the ram back in as it normally is, and the same thing happened! So I was fed up and took everything off the motherboard, installed a 350W PSU and put all the parts back, with the 1gb in the first slot and the 512mb in the second. The computer wouldnt even power up with the 350W PSU, so back in went the 450W. Somehow taking everything out and putting it back made the computer work with a normal beep, however I am still having the display problems...
maybe its time to take it to the computer shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom