Times when I'm glad I have integrated gfx...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Well, I just now noticed my fan was not spinning on my EVGA 256MB GeForce 7600GS. I opened my case's side panel, and it wasn't spinning. Shut down the computer, removed the card, and looked at the fan. Part of it melted for some reasn, it almost looks like? The middle is bulged, for I have no idea why. I hadn't tried to OC it, or my system at all =\. Exchanged a few curse words, so now I'm gonna RMA the sucker for a replacement. Glad I bought a computer that had integrated gfx as well, so now I'm not w/out a computer xD.

Wow thats strange, I wonder how that happened? I see your point with the intergrated gfx.

I have my wife's computer (my old one) and a cheapy WalMart special that was donated to me to fall back on if need be.

I'll probably take pictures of it (just in case/my own reference), which I may end up posting on here. But, it's really weird =\. Worked for a few months... then, just stopped working. The center of the fan is bulged up/made the sticker peel up too o_O Odd thing is... it was when I started using my new HDD... I had it installed/hooked up, just hadn't transferred anything over to it, so it shouldn't have been a power issue. I did a disk copy from my old to new.. unhooked my old one...and booted off of my new one, and that' swhen the gfx card fan went down =\. And, the card only requires 350watt, and I have a 500w PSU... Shouldn't that support a gfx card, 2 HDD's, and 2 disc drives? I'm just glad it was within warranty, so I get a replacement xD. If it does it again after I get my new one, though, I'm gonna ask for a refund, and go with a different brand other than EVGA...Got any recommendations?

I usually find my next part/pieces by the ratings on newegg. since you want a different brand , look at bfg or xfx. those are some recommendations from me.

That's where I got this card, from Newegg. It got pretty good ratings, but I didn't see anything about the fan not functioning after a while...just about it being pretty noisy.

fans are a major failure point on GFX cards, coz they're so weeny and they have to cope with so much heat :)

You should check your temps every now and then and with gfx card fans it doesn't hurt to oil the bearings every 6 months or so.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind when I get my new card. I only had it for 2 months though, so no chance to really oil it xD. There any special oil I should use that's made specifically for 'em?

Well, they accepted my RMA request, so now I just gotta send it in, and wait for the new one to come... I hope the new one doesn't burn out in 2 months >_>... cuz if it does... I'm just gonna see if I can: get a refund, or just get an after-market replacement fan that would fit it.

any pics? i want to see this. this happened to my old FX5500...it was like a TK orb or something, and the fan stopped. the weird thing is, you say that the middle melted and bulged...i had a whole fan blade melt. the card was still good, so that brings me to a point. or nevermind, you have the rma thing.

yes it is great to have onboard, especially when the onboard has enough power to handle the games you play most. (halo, nfsu, nfsu2, some nes games, and yahoo games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom