Recommended external harddrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotic115

In Runtime
Hi I was looking for an external harddrive (anywhere from 250gbs to 500gbs). I've seen a few brands such as Western Digital and their My Book collection and Seagate but I've read conflicting reviews. Any recommendations on what external harddrive I should get?

Personal preferences vary, but I've always been a HUGE fan of seagate's. I've had excellent luck, even seen their mini drives bounced off walls to work still work great. Typically Seagate's come with some of the longest warranties.
Just avoid the Seagate Free Agent's. They're maxtor's now that they've been bought by Seagate.
Western Digitals have been good to me too.
Avoid Maxtors, I've seen ALOT of them go bad, and even burst into flames. Yes actual flames.

lol I have a maxtor one touch it is fine apart from this kinda screeching/scraping noise each time I use it :D still works fine though.
I would buy an external enclosure and then put an internal hdd in it preferably a seagate cuda 7200.10 this should save you a bit of cash

I recommend Seagate Drives... can't go wrong with a 5 year warrenty, and the industry leader...

Also, depending on what your needs are, you might want to look at network attached storage. I have a DLink DNS-323 in my network (listed in sig), and it works great for file storage, and I am even running a webserver off of it.

I have a Maxtor 160GB external USB drive, and it works perfect for me. I haven't had any problems with it so far. Well, the only problem I've had is when I go to eject the drive from USB so I can take it somewhere, it says that it cannot be stopped, but that's fixed by turning it off (which I would have done anyway, since I was taking it somewhere). I have an internal Western Digital, and an internal Seagate 'Cuda, and both work fine as well. So far, no problems =D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom