wireless adapter for a freind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is the deal, my freind just moved, and his parents will not let him do a wired connection acrost the house (roughly 40ft) into his room, and he already has a wireless router. so he has 15 bux total (not a 15 dollar product, 15 for shipping, taxes, everyting. i will cover for teh rest, including 10 of that fifteen.)

so i was browsing newegg, and found what looks like a cheap but good usb wireless adapter. now it will be mounted internally, connected to a usb port that he has inside his case.

Newegg.com - ENCORE ENUWI-G2 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128/256 bit WEP Data Encryption - Retail

that is the adapter. any comments? thats about as expensive as it can get. i mean were dirt poor, i dont even know how i afforded this computer (pc 1, my other 2 came from the trash, fixed em, but he is using PC2 at his house)

Sounds like he should be more worried on finding a job to have more than $15 lol.

I can't vouch for that adapter's quality. You get what you pay for.

My personal preference would be to match the manufacturer on both the router & the Wireless NIC card. In addition to that, the reviews on that device aren't too great, and remember that you get what you pay for.

Best bet might be to have him set the computer up near the router so it can be wired, and save up for a 'quality' wireless NIC in the future.

Agreed. A good idea is to always match the manufacturer's...even though I run a dlink to linksys myself lol. Only because I run through dual routers though.

lol, well anyways, his parents wont let him get a job until he turns 18 because they think that he will use the money for drugs...**** hes cleaner than me. but they wont let him set it up in their room, where the router is. they said, "either have it in your room with the wireless where we dont have to see it, or have no internet at all"

yea too bad we couldnt get any more money, there was a pci version for 13.99 that looked pretty good, but he wouldnt of been able to use it, because he has a gateway that has 2 pci slots, and one is for the mx4000, and the other is for a usb 2.0 card (which has 1 internal port +6 external). so were planning on getting it and just plugging it in there

oh yea, we cant match the manufactures, thats really hard. the wireless is built in to the dsl modem. the make/model is: Westell VersaLink 327W. theyre great routers, 4 port, supports up to 3mbps down, 1.5 up, etc... and we (and they) got a deal from verizon that made them free)

Well in that case, if he's desperate for internet I would try whatever to get it then. If you think it's worth it, try it out. If it doesn't work, take it back somehow lol.

try a USB belkin stick, i used to have one, not great signal but it worked

Lol, his parents won't let him get a job?? The need to be given infractions.... Go with whatever given the circumstances.... My recommendation, is to have him go mow lawns, and do whatever to save money to get a wireless adapter. I used to get $40+ a week just from mowing neighborhood lawns for $5-10 a crack, depending on the size... and I was doing this in 4th grade......

no lawns up here, we live in the desert.

yea i did too, there are three lawns in like a mile radius...got like 10bux a lawn + whatever for doing weeds.

well, we got the adapter, came yesterday. it works pretty good, i dont know what theyre talking about dropping signal and low signal strength. its 2 walls away, about 50feet, and signal strength and quality is 95%, plus the link speed is 54mbps.

pretty fast on the internet, but the only problem is that it gets kinda. well not kinda, pretty hot. but only under constant use, when it goes into idle, it cools back down. its more than whats expected for less than 10 bux.

wow where do you live freakrider? sorry in the u.k there arnt an deserts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom