New Computer $1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^dude, you're buying a new rig, not upgrading^^
depends on which mobo you get.
likely it will require an 8 pin cpu power connector.
which that psu probably doesnt have (mine doesnt either)....so you will have to get a new psu, or an adapter. i have the adapter, but...meh.
or you can run it on 4 pins and see what happens. probably will work...but "not suggested" by the manufacturer. lol like overclocking.

settle down man.

The newest C2D's require less power because they are made on the 65nm process. He's talking about getting a e6600 conroe. It's a 65watt CPU. Most mobo's made for the lastest Core Duos & C2D's. I believe the Quad Core requires 8 Pins and is a 130W CPU. In which case if he purchased a Q6600, he could get a molex to 4 pin adapter. In which case, he'd be cutting very close with a 420 PSU and I wouldn't recommend that. Especially if it's a single Rail PSU. Hopefully it's at least dual rail.

Also, it would be very smart to buy a LGA775 mobo that supports all C2's and also Q2D's. In which case most of them come with a 4+4 pin for the CPU. 4 are uncapped and 4 are capped.

ASUS P5B Deluxe is a great board. I'd recommend it for what I've explained above.

settle down?
uh, mkay.
i am basing my opinion on the fact that i have a 4pin psu and an 8pin mobo. the only reason that i suggest you check is that evga told me that it would be adviseable to use the 8 pin power connection.
now, if you get a 680i mobo for your 6600, one is made by (guess who) evga.
hence the relevence of my post, in my eyes.
now, i 've read that the 8 pin doesnt matter, that it is only for quad core, that you get better overclocks with 8 pins, that it is more stable, that it doesnt matter. yadda yadda yadda. i cant tell ya. i see 8 holes on a new mobo, i want a plug with 8 pins to fit in it. call me sentimental.
by the way, my 3600 is also 65w. so, i dont know if evga is gearing up for the future needs with the 8 pin, or if they are just blowing smoke up my a** with these four extra pins. but i was told to use them by their (kinda rude) tech support, even though i have a dual core cpu. they wouldnt explain, they just said, "you need to use it". it was rather orwellian.
so, as i was not prepared to spend another 200 or so dollars on a new power supply, i have the molex...and even though i dont like the fact that the wires are run in parallel (i fail to see the advantage in this) i still use it.

. I believe the Quad Core requires 8 Pins and is a 130W CPU. In which case if he purchased a Q6600, he could get a molex to 4 pin adapter.

Q6600 is 105 watt CPU

QX6700 is 130 watt CPU

QX6800 is 130 watt

I hope it is clear to you.........

Yea. Thanks. The Q6600 has a TDP of 105w due to the 266Mhz reduction in clock speed from the Q6700.

Overclock the Q6600 and now you have a 130w TDP CPU and probably even higher.

Interestingly enough, if anyone is planning on building a PC between August and October, keep your eye on the pries of the Q6600. Rumor has it that it will be well under $300 USD by Q3 2007. Ranging $235-$285 USD.

hmmm...potential upgrade...

I guess Intel is doing that to compete, with AMD's new processors.

But is Quadcore worth it for gaming?!? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Dual Core aren't even optimize to use is full potential yet, how can a Quadcore be better in terms of gaming?? I could be wrong so let me know ;) .

Well it's not worth it for gaming, but it's one heck of a deal for a quad core.....under $300?...I'll take it.

Yea. Thanks. The Q6600 has a TDP of 105w due to the 266Mhz reduction in clock speed from the Q6700.

Overclock the Q6600 and now you have a 130w TDP CPU and probably even higher.

Interestingly enough, if anyone is planning on building a PC between August and October, keep your eye on the pries of the Q6600. Rumor has it that it will be well under $300 USD by Q3 2007. Ranging $235-$285 USD.

Yes it will drop in price, and intel will make a new revision of Q6600 in 16th July which will have 95w TDP

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/intel-will-lower-q6600-power-consumption-16th-july-142200/

But is Quadcore worth it for gaming?!? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Dual Core aren't even optimize to use is full potential yet, how can a Quadcore be better in terms of gaming?? I could be wrong so let me know ;) .

Crysis, HL2 episode 2 and Alan wake are the first games that will utilize 4 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom