Newbie w/ Graphics Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyb34r

Beta member
Here is my story... basically I have never built a computer. I've been saving up, and am budgeting 1200 to build my first "low level performance" computer. I understand many of the concepts to building a computer (among hardware compatability anyways) but graphics cards and monitors are confusing the heck out of me.

I know build in graphics on mobos arent the greatest. But I have been seeing people using mobos with onboard graphics and the putting additional graphics cards in them. Is there a benefit to that?

Secondly, all these connection terms are confusing the heck out of me. VGA and all that. I just want a decent LCD monitor (about 23 inch) and I want it to be high quality (cus I'll be doing most of my movie watching on it.).

Any tips or advice for the newbie? (Feel free to only answer whatever questions you want!) And thank you all for your time!!! :happy:

1.2k will get you a decent - highish end computer
A graphics card is meant to REPLACE onboard graphics. When people put an additional card, it is meant to overtake the MB's graphics. The graphics card takes the burden of memory and bandwidth off the CPU and chipset and dedicates it to itself.
There are two types of connections: DVI and VGA
DVI (digital and analog) is becoming more popular but VGA (analog) still has a majority. Both will do you good for watching movies. A good LCD isnt hard to find. Anything that has 600:1 contrast of higher is good.

so i see you are new here. Welcome to Tech-Forums.net!

well, where to get started. have you picked out the main parts of your system yet? motherboard, cpu, case? if not we can help you, about 15 of us here, we just hear the phrase "help me with a build" and we pounce on it like cats on mice.

well anyways, past that. I suggest this but this is way above your price range, the percect fit would be a 20.1 inch widescreen this which costs roughly 210 us dollars.

for a graphics solution, i would suggest a 7600GS, its a little on the expensive side, but it has great potentail, this, or this would work perfect.

welcome to the site, and as above, to help more we need you to tell us some info about what you have been looking at(if anything) and we can go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom