Upgrading to Vista But

Status
Not open for further replies.
And people running old P3s/P4s or Athlon XPs will be using Vista why?

Okay first off what makes you think that most of these people are using old P3's/P4's and Athlon XP's? I know very few people that actually run them.

2nd. Do people know better that their system cant handle it unless they are told so? No.

Again most of the population is using 32 Bit. I run a P4 3.6 GHz. That isnt old. Nor is it 64 bit. So by M$ duing both at the same time they have not sectioned off anyone. Vista 32 Bit or 64 Bit is just the same. Only thing different is that the support for the 32 bit is much higher. Plus 32 Bit can handle 4GB of RAM while 64 Bit can handle 128GB.

So why would M$ go okay. We are only going to do 64 Bit and eliminate 80% of the people that buy the product? Almost all of the PC's people buy are the cheap $400 Wal-MArt special. Which very few if any are 64Bit.

The average user wouldnt know 64 Bit from 2 Bit. They dont care either. Only hard core PC people know.

I have an old P4 machine at home running Vista x86 :umm:. Works a treat :happy:.

In my opinion, the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit shouldn't be rushed. It shouldn't be a complete step up. It should be seamlessly phased. Besides, not many consumers today actually require what 64 bit offers.

I think Microsoft providing both x86 and x64 versions of Vista is a sensible, marketing decision. All editions of Vista (except the Starter Edition) support both 32 bit and 64 bit architectures, which increases compatibility as well as the potential to make greater number of sales.

Okay Team sure. I lost less than 5 FPS in my transition. In some cases i actually gained upwards of 10 FPS in games. Running games from F.E.A.R. to Warcraft 3 and i have had no issue.

So the whole gaming thing is out the window. You guys can stop using that excuse. With nVidia's latest drivers many of the issues with gamin on Vista have been resolved. Get over it. XP isnt the King anymore.

I wonder how some will think about this...

Vista...
End of the year there may or may not be brand spanking new games that come out...
Many will be Vista primed with DX10 in mind...many of these same games will also support XP and legacy DX9...

Will these same people who constantly say xp is better for gaming still say that? I hope not. Sure XP is better for gaming...IF you only play current or older gen games. The Vista games might have 10% faster framerates, and that may not mean much, but they will be compounded with vastly superior visual detail and richness. It's not a bad thing.

Please people...embrace new gen dual/quad core...embrace Vista or maybe even don't (pick another modern OS). Just realize newer tech, software or hardware WILL be better.

Remember how we had these dos games that we tried to run on XP that just wouldn't run? And if we got them to run they might have been slower? Sometimes they might have been blazingly too fast...does that mean Dos gaming was better than XP gaming? Of course not....dos specific games might run best in Dos, but doesn't mean gaming is better on it than XP or even Vista.

5-10 years into Vista and we just might have an "XP Box" for flawless old gen XP emulation...just like DosBox and the many other types out there. I use Doxbox for some games from within Vista.

Is an intellivision better than a Wii? Of course not...come on...baby steps...baby steps are ok. :D

Almost all of the PC's people buy are the cheap $400 Wal-MArt special. Which very few if any are 64Bit.

The average user wouldnt know 64 Bit from 2 Bit. They dont care either. Only hard core PC people know.

Even the $400 specials are 64-bit in this day and age. Usually its an early Athlon 64 of some kind or a "Pentium Dual Core", Intel's new budget chip to replace the Celeron. Heck, even modern Celerons have 64-bit extensions. Chances are your Pentium 4 does too if you bought it within the past 2 years.

You are right that most people are still running strictly 32-bit computers. You are right that most people don't know 32-bit from 2-bit.

Where you are wrong is that most people who will be running Vista (Premium and above) are most likely not running 32-bit processors. There are a few exceptions...but lets face it..if your PC is over 2 years old then you will probably have no business running Vista. You don't buy Vista Basic if you already have XP.

There needs to be a time when MS cuts off old technology and this was the PERFECT chance to do that being that all the drivers and apps have to be rewritten anyways. If it was an incremental upgrade, as 2k to XP was, then I would feel differently. But why not take advantage of such a situation as this and push the world into 64-bit?

If you don't own 64-bit hardware, you'll upgrade if you want to keep up. We saw the same thing in the 90s when Windows NT and Windows 95 pushed the world into the 32-bit era and its time to see it again.

Even the $400 specials are 64-bit in this day and age. Usually its an early Athlon 64 of some kind or a "Pentium Dual Core", Intel's new budget chip to replace the Celeron. Heck, even modern Celerons have 64-bit extensions. Chances are your Pentium 4 does too if you bought it within the past 2 years.

You are right that most people are still running strictly 32-bit computers. You are right that most people don't know 32-bit from 2-bit.

Where you are wrong is that most people who will be running Vista (Premium and above) are most likely not running 32-bit processors. There are a few exceptions...but lets face it..if your PC is over 2 years old then you will probably have no business running Vista. You don't buy Vista Basic if you already have XP.

There needs to be a time when MS cuts off old technology and this was the PERFECT chance to do that being that all the drivers and apps have to be rewritten anyways. If it was an incremental upgrade, as 2k to XP was, then I would feel differently. But why not take advantage of such a situation as this and push the world into 64-bit?

If you don't own 64-bit hardware, you'll upgrade if you want to keep up. We saw the same thing in the 90s when Windows NT and Windows 95 pushed the world into the 32-bit era and its time to see it again.

I do see your point i really do. I also do agree to an extent. My PC is just over 2 years old. Yet i run Vista Ultimate with no issue at all. Cause i upgraded RAM and many other parts other than the Mobo and CPU. So i dont run 64 Bit at all. My CPU cant handle it at all. Yet i can fully run Vista better than some other machines out there.

You are right that people dont need Vista Basic when they have XP. There is no difference. But yet again you still run into issues with developers and hardware manufactorers. You can try to eliminate old technology. But many businesses out there DO run these older machined that are like mine. They can handle Vista but are not 64 Bit. So they would lose a big chunk of $$ there as well.

Then you still come across the issue of trying to get the hardware makers and seftware developers to make the 64 Bit software. As we see right now we cant accomplish this. What makes any of us think that by jsut dropping 32 Bit that they would just automatically jump to 64 Bit? What about R&D? What about all the other costs to get the products there? Then comes the waiting for the products while 64 Bit PC's sit around waiting.

I think M$ was right in their move. Make 32 and 64 Bit now. But let everyone know that come 2009 or 2010 when they release their next OS that there will be no going back. By then we should see the support for 64 Bit that we already have for 32 Bit. Which is where we need to be for 64 Bit to truly take off.

One other thing to think of is the max RAM Vista supports is 4GB. Standard right now for respectable PCs is 1-2GB. Considering how it was only 128MB at the dawn of the XP era, this is going to become a problem before the Vista era is over. Do you think we will start to see a transition to 64-bit at that time?

Without a doubt before Vista's reign is over i see 64 Bit taking off and starting to become the standard. Right about the same time Codename Vienna kicks into high gear and the Betas start to leak all over the web. Everyone will want to try it out and since it will only be 64 Bit that till hurt a few people.

But without a doubt before 2010 i see 64 Bit becoming standard. It is just taking the industry a lot longer to work on this since 32 Bit has been around for so long. They dont want to give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom