Burning smell coming from computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol, that you can find at any drug store. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the better.

Use a lint-free cloth (like a coffee filter or lens cleaning cloth) and then saturate it with rubbing alcohol (like b1gapl said, the higher the percentage the better) and then scrub it off. It will come off relatively easy. Make sure you clean the top of the CPU off as well.

Don't worry about getting the alcohol on electrical components and don't worry about drying it up... it evaporates quickly.

perhaps you could drink it....

You'll cause yourself some serious gastric problems. Isopropyl alcohol is not for drinking. Probably a joke though :D
Make sure you cleaned your CPU cooler base well, and your CPU top too. Try not to get too much alcohol on your computer components, because the alcohol still contains water. If it does not contain water the bottle would say 100% Isopropyl Alcohol, which I never seemed to be able to find.

Make sure no dust is on any surfaces that could "cook" to very high temperatures. Make sure your CPU cooler faces the right way, so if the fan was placed perpendicular to the CPU, the exhaust should face towards the back of the case.

umm, just a question first, but have you even isolated where the smell was coming from? it could be possible that the powersupply could be making the smell....

my stock PSU sometimes smells too when i turn on the computer, but no smoke lol.

i do sometimes use my air compressed can in the PSU *coughdustcough*, but i ran out of air in the can :-(, have to buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom