HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

callmewilson

Baseband Member
My HP Omnibook xe4100 laptop has a broken DC Jack socket, i've decided to get another laptop as I want a faster one anyway.

Is there another way this machine can be powered? on the bottom of the unit theres metal contacts? 2 flat round ones and 2 metal clip types set in small square holes. Does anyone know what these are for?

I mostly want a way to power the machine to format the hard drive to clear my data.

Re: HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other wa

Hello,

On the underside of the Omnibook xe4100 is a port replicator docking port.

The port replicator has an AC power port. I think it's possibe to power the laptop by docking it to the port replicator, and connecting the power adapter to the port. Though I'm not sure. Besides, this is costly and rather pointless since you can't really use the laptop anyway.

If you want to format the hard drive, then you could take it out and put it in another laptop and format it (if the laptop has the same hard drive interface, eg: PATA / SATA). Or you could purchase an external hard drive enclosure for 2.5" hard drives and format it.

If you're not going to use the hard drive again, then why not just remove it from the laptop and store it away, or destroy it?

Re: HP Omnibook xe4100 Laptop, Broken DC Jack, Can the laptop be powered any other wa

Thanks Alvin.C,

I intend to auction the laptop as spares or repair on ebay just wanted to wipe the hard disk for privacy purposes, i.e msn saved login info, favourites etc....

My brother has an IBM thinkpad, maybe my HD will fit his unit and i'll ask him if he can run a format then i'll restore the hd to this hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom