Searching for a Compatiable VISTA wireless adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

downbytheriver

Beta member
Hey there

i have bought two PCI wireless adapters to add to my custom built comp. I am running vista ULTIMATE 64bit version. The two i tried don't work... I have bought(and returned) a d-link and a linksys wireless pci adapter. It would recognize the peice of hardware but the drivers wouldn't install properly. I tried a couple of ways to get them to work with no luck. Also i downloaded the drivers from the website for vista and they didn't work... Anyone know of a wireless adapter pci card (or anything) to get me goin? is there any usb ones that work for vista?

thanks alot
dbtr

Hello,

Because you have the 64-bit version of Windows Vista installed, all drivers for hardware devices must be digitally signed, otherwise Vista will not install them.

This requirement for Vista x64 intends to ensure greater stability.

You cannot download and install Windows 2000 / Windows XP drivers in Windows Vista x64, nor can you download and install Windows Vista 32-bit drivers. They must be Windows Vista 64-bit drivers that are signed.

Currently, D-Link and Linksys do not provide any 64-bit Vista drivers for any of their PCI wireless NICs (though linksys do provide 32-bit Vista drivers). So before you buy new hardware, you must check whether the manufacturer provides a 64-bit Vista driver for the device.

thanks guys i apprciate the quick response and help. I am going to try and track down one of the adapaters mentioned in the first post.

Its funny that two of the bigger companies still don't have vista support. I guess thats how it is for alot of companies with a new OS out, as they want to make sure it runs very well and stable to not bog up thier customer service channels.

Cheers m8s

if you live in the US:
Newegg.com - NETGEAR WPN311 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI RangeMax Wireless Adapter up to 108Mbps Data Rates Hardware-based 40/64-bit & 128-bit WEP encryption WPA-PSK - Retail

or the U.K
Netgear WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter

hope that helped

canadian btw :) ... i'll track it down though

haha i find it funny future shop only carriers DLINK and LINKSYS ... the two companies that don't support the new operating system.. corporate ******bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom