upgrading my kaptops hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdClayJisKOO

Baseband Member
I am looking to upgrade my laptop's harddrive, and I basically want to know what the fastest, highest capacity drive i can get is. also, i think i know what interface and everything i need, but if someone could clarify that would be great.

Hello,

From what I've seen, the highet capacity of 2.5" hard drives on the market is 160GB. The fastest spin speed I've seen is 7200RPM.

b1gapl makes a good point about increased heat on drives that spin faster. In addition, faster RPM drives will consume more power, and hard drives already use a fair chunk of batery power. So, if battery life is of importance to you, I'd go for a 5400RPM hard drive.

Just to be sure, for the interface, if it's for your Acer Aspire 5102WMLi, then you'll want a PATA (Parallel ATA) / UDMA / IDE hard drive that is 2.5 inches (not SATA or Serial ATA).

Re: upgrading my laptops hard drive

yea, i was looking at newegg and was thinking of a 160gb 5400rpm drive, but i thought there may be something better elseware. would going from 4200 to 5400 be a significant increase in performance?

at newegg there are a few 160gb 5400rmp drives. how do i know which one is best?

Theres not really a significant increase in performance from 4200 to 5400, but I'd go for Seagates.

ok what would be the best way for me to increase performance? when i asked on another forum they said hard drive speed because thats where the actual data is stored..is that correct, or is there a better way i can increase performance?

also, what is the difference between these drives, and which would i be better off getting?
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST9160821AS 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 5400.3 (Perpendicular Recording) ST9160821A 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

Newegg.com - Seagate ST9160821A-RK 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache ATA-6 Notebook Hard Drive - Retail

I think the second one, because it's the cheapest one and has perpendicular recording. I'm not sure what that is, but I think thats good to have. And also your current hard drive is PATA, which is another name for ATA.

yea. i know some systems can use pata, ata and ide are all the same i think? so i just can't use sata. but if going from 4200 to 5400 is not a big increase in performance, what would be the best way to increase performance?

Are you using this new hard drive to run Windows or just storage for music, videos, and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom