can you guys recommend a DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I would like to buy a DVD player. can you guys recommend one.

i want to hang on to this DVD player for the next 2 years and want to use it with my LCD HD TV which i am planning to buy sometime later this year.

my wish list is
1. something in the 100 British pound range
2. handles 720p (is that what a regular DVD can/should handle)
3. supports DivX/Xvid, avi, jpegs
4. multi-region
5. supports bookmarking (would be nice)
6. some hard disk space (would be nice)

you guys think DVD recording is needed?
i don't think multi-disc is needed, what do you guys think?

i think with this feature list, i need to invest twice the amount of money, if i am, can you guys tell me which feature is not really needed.

I have a Philips (i think its phillips) one in the lounge, it supports SD Cards , normal dvd (420P), bookmarking and everythin else really. Its gteat...i'll tell you the name of it tommorow

Im not sure how much it was though.

thanks for the response dude

i look forward to knowing the name of your dvd player, i guess 420p is the regular DVD player resolution?

Yes it is.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are 720P or 1080P i think normal dvd's are 420P (or 480P ??). But HD players are more expensive.

Is there any chance that you want a console... and havnt got a PS3 or Xbox 360 ??...Because both of them offer good DVD Players.

Just a thought.

Thanks, i'll try and remember to get the DVD player name later this morning when i wake up :D.

thanks for the reply

i think i will be paying extra for the functionality of the PS3 or the Xbox.

are there different levels of upconverting.

i guess all standard DVD players output 480i, irrespective of location in europe or the US?
does upscaling mean that all of them can upscale to 1080p?

is there a huge difference in cost beetween a non-upconverting DVD player and one that upconverts

i guess a blu-ray will out perform an upscaled 1080i

can you point me to a link which shows the performance difference between 720p and 1080i?

do DVD players come with hard disk space or is that just DVD recorders which come with it?

does your player use the Faroudja Genesis FLI2310 chip or silicon image SiI504, i have head good reviews of those chips.

does it come with HDMI outputs?

some one recommended an oppo player, what do you guys think of them?

Progressive scanning is not the same thing as high definition. Progressive scanning means that the TV draws every single line at the same time rather than interlacing or drawing every other line and then rotating, which reduces flickering and ghosting to a certain extent.

The definition refers to the native resolution the video was encoded at as well as the number of pixels the TV can display. Because you already have an HDTV, it should do up to either 1080i or 1080p, but it should support progressive scanning for anything 720p or less.

DVDs only scale to SDTV 480p and I believe in North America the DVD resolution standard is 720x480. Only Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD support high definition formats of 720i or above, and buying into either at this point is silly until one emerges victorious as the obvious winner of the format war, although they do make combo players now.

Usually only DVD recorders include some sort of hard drive storage, and HDMI is irrelevant.

Attempting to upscale 480i/p to 720i/p or 1080i/p is useless and will probably end up looking worse than at native resoluion. Try bumping up a 720x480 image to 1920x1080 and you'll see what I mean

thanks for the reply,

i thought players with faroudja genesis chips and silicon image chips do good jobs at upscaling, and if i have a player which can upscale, the players will upscale the regular 480i/p to a good 720i/p to be displayed on the HD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom