Recommendations for finishing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
I'm planning to build a computer with a budget max of $1000, and I have about half the stuff I need so far.
I'd like someone that could find compatible parts for the stuff I already assembled, please. If there's anything here bad or that won't work together, let me know!

Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG965OTMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Subtotal is $558.97. So about another $500 to get this working!
I'm not going to be insanely gaming, so a $200+ graphics card won't be necessary.

Are you going to overclock? If you are, that mobo won't do you any good, if not, it'll be ok. And you can save $30 by going with the G.Skill NQ RAM since they'll max an E6600 anyway and tighter timings don't really affect performance on Core 2 Duo systems much at all.

Forgot about that part :p...

Anyways Centurion 5 is a really good case for the money, that power supply isn't worth it for $110, and I would get an SATA burner.

I would get this power supply: Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly
Way better then the Hiper and cheaper too.

Any SATA burner will do.

The 8600GTS is a bit lacking in price/performance compared to the last-gen DX9 cards but it does have DX10 and being newer tech, it uses less power, less heat, has way better video decoding (even better then the 8800 cards) etc. so it's a decent trade off. I'm in the same situation as you for the graphics card and I'm going for an 8600GTS. Just know that you can get a waaay better for $250 ($215 deals have happened a couple times already) in the 8800GTS.

Thanks! I don't plan to overclock, it seems a bit unsavory with the risk of voiding warranty with it.
As for fans and thermal paste and such I'm lost as well. I guess I'll poke around and get something with positive reviews.

I've decided to use the mobo b1g suggested, and I'm going to use the 8800GTS. That brings the total to $1,023.93 excluding the small other things I have to get and shipping.

Thanks for helping!

Well you don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler or paste if you're not overclocking. However, people VERY rarely actually use the warranty on their CPU so I would recommend just a very mild overclock. Just keep all the voltages stock and raise FSB a little bit from 266 stock to like 320 for 2.9ghz and test it if it's stable. I'm sure you could 2.9 stable without changing anything and with the stock cooler. 10 minute job + leaving benchmark software running for 24 hours to check if it's stable for a crapload more performance. Your decision but no reason not to do it imo.

Good choice on the 8800GTS :). What is the resolution on your monitor though? 320mb of memory could limit it in future games if you use a high resolution.

Edit: You don't need the AS5. The CPU will come with paste that will be perfectly fine. AS5 only shaves off a couple degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom