Upgrading Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaryManInThePark

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade my computer and I had some questions. And yes I know that even after the upgrade my computer will still be out of date, but I don't plan on using it for any 3D games or video editing or anything like that.

Does image editing software or simple 3D modeling software perform any better with a video card? If so what's a reccomended PCI card, because I currently have integrated.

My Socket Type is 478. I currently have a Celeron 2.6GHZ, and I want to upgrade to this: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 RoHS Version Processor - OEM a 3GHZ P4. Can I be assured that it will work?

I currently have 1 stick of 512MB RAM running at 133MHZ. Is there really a point getting another stick, or is it just too slow? If so does it have to be the same brand, because I have Infineon and I can't find that.

i would consider a whole new system... cuz the x2 brisbane is 56$ dual-core, 64 bit and owns that p4..

Getting a video card would greatly free up cpu resources and as for upgrading the cpu I wouldn't bother, the 2.6ghz celeron sounds fine, with the p4 you'll be getting 400 more mhz and some more cache but you probably wouldn't notice it too much. I would get a video card and see if that helps speed things up a bit by not having your onboard gfx chip hogging cpu resources.

EDIT: As for the ram - and this is just me - but yeah it's too slow for me to dish out money for more of it, I would consider it a 512mb comp. No point really spending the money on a old 133mhz - ... what is that, PC2100? - stick. That's just me though.

i agree with verong. I'd seriously consider a new computer. If you know how to assemble your own rig, id can be seriously cheap. if youre not a gamer, youll just need the bare essentials and put together a computer thats far superior to your current one. there are several tutorials on putting together your own rig on these forums, and you can do so for relatively cheap, (<$500). in the long run, it'd probably be a quite wise investment to just get a new PC. anyways, good luck, hope this helped.

I can only spend a couple hundred, so what can I reuse? The case has pretty much fallen apart so I'd need a new one. And I really just need a new hard drive (I currently have a 40Gig), and then I would possibly need a video card, and a mobo, CPU, and RAM. My PSU is 250Watt so I don't know if that could be reused.

I only have about $270 to spend including shipping and video card right now, and I'm a kid who doesn't have a job so more money isn't going to come very fast. What can I really do without? I don't really need a case it can just be open right? I can do with a cheaper mobo and processor (I can get socket 939 right, only disadvantage is worse RAM and no upgradability). I don't need an OS because I can use Linux. So would Socket 939 work, and can I do it without a case?

If I'm not using games how does Septron do? Because I could go even cheaper (I would perfer if possible not to spend the entire $270) and get socket 754?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom