help with new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

therocker39

Beta member
I just bought a new dell xps 410 it came with vista home basic I want to take the hard drive out of my old dell b110 and put it in the empty slot in the xps and use it to run xp can I do this vista will not work with a lot of the software I have and is awful for gaming I read in another forum that if you have both vista and xp loaded on one pc that xp had to be loaded first or vistas wouldn't work but does that still apply if they are on 2 different hard drives also if I can do this would I have to do a new install on the hard drive or could I just move it
Any help with any of this would appreciated

Edited:

Greetings:
Hey tech forums,

Intro:
I just bought a new Dell XPS 410 it came with Vista home basic.

Dell Product Page
Dell Specs

Question:
I want to take the hard drive out of my old Dell B110 and put it in the empty slot in the XPS and use it to run XP. Can I do this?

Reason:
Vista will not work with a lot of the software I have and is awful for gaming.

Research:
I've read in another forum that if you have both Vista and XP loaded on one comp, then XP would have to be loaded first or Vista wouldn't work. But does that still apply if they are on 2 different hard drives.

Other Thoughts:
Also if I can do this, would I have to do a new install on the hard drive or could I just move it?

Gratitude:
Any help with any of this would appreciated.

My Opinion:
Why not format the XPS 410 and use a XP recovery disk to install XP on the XPS 410? Thats much easier.

You'd likely have to do a new install on the hard drive unless you are using the same kind of motherboard (sounds like you are not). If you have the Windows XP disc from the old system, you should be able to do this. Somebody smarter than I will chime in on the correct way to do this. I believe you would boot with the disc on the new system and select repair install:confused:

Pat

the recovery disc probably won't work you need to have atleast similar hardware to what the repair disk is made for :D. why did you get a dell very dissapointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom