Irregular fps drop on all games

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletkid

Beta member
Hi, I'm new here. Heard theres alot of knowledgeable people here, I hope you can help solve my problem;

I'm having irregular fps drops in every game i play. Its a severe performance drop. One moment I can play C&C 3 very smoothly (40-60) then it drop suddenly to 20-10 for like 10 secs and back to normal again. Is this securom checking my disk? What causes this? my specs are on the right.

I have a ram monitoring software installed and when i'm not playing anything it stays at arnd 700mb but when i started playing games it will go to as low as 200mb. Does this mean its because of my ram?

I also have system restore disabled just to be sure its not winxp hogging it.

Sorry, didn't post my rig specs here they are;

Processor
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.06GHz
Mainboard
GA-8IPE1000Pro2 (Gigabyte)
Graphics Card
XFX GeForce 7600GS 256MB DDR2
Memory
Corsair CL2.5 1gb (256x4) DCh
Display
Samsung SyncMaster 713N
Storage
120gb SATA Seagate HD
Optical Storage
Samsung DVD Super-Writemaster
PSU
480W
Audio
Realtek AC97 onboard
OS
Windows XP Professional SP2

I'm going to lay odds on heat... I had the same problems (as posted in other threads)...

Either your CPU is too hot, video card too hot.... Check your temps... If it is heat, just get some good air flow in there and purchase a good aftermarket heatsink+fan for cpu AND heatsink+fan for video card....

I was getting bad fps at about 67+ C on my CPU...

thx for replying. I 'might' try doing the heatsink. my cpu temps at 40 at idle and 60 at peak which reminds me, i haven't unclog the dust!

Anyway, i prefer not to do the heatsink because the last time i took out the stock heatsink, the cpu was stuck to it as i pulled it out! Without taking the restraining lever!

Was shocked at first as i don't know where my cpu was until i saw it stuck to the heatsink.

Long story short, I managed to pry (carefully) it and place it back and replaced the heatsink (lucky for me, it worked). After that i told myself not to touch it again.

Anyway, I've posted this on other forums and they suggests upping my ram and changing my psu. I think that's the most logical way for me but still, what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom