comp not recognizing hard disk when installing windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwh1031h

Beta member
well i just got a new HD the other day and as i tried installing windows on to it, it says that i dont have a HD connected. i'm not really good with these comp things, can someone please give me some suggestions? thanks

First make sure, that the HD, is connected properly. Since you're installing Windows on it, make sure it is the master hard drive, if you have more than one hard drive installed. Is it SATA or IDE?

it's an Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive connected to a A8V Series Motherboard from asus. everything is connected, unless i am overlooking something. i got it off newegg so it didn't come with anything but the physical HD

Make sure you have your sata ports set to IDE and not RAID in the bios, also make sure you don't have to load a special driver for your sata controller. It sounds like you might have to. Did your motherboard come with a floppy disk? If it did that's your sata drivers you have to use to install windows. If you don't have a floppy you'll have to make one with the sata drivers on the CD or download them off the net. Then when you go to install windows hit F6 when it prompts you to(it's the very first thing that scrolls at the bottom when you start a new install).

i'm pretty sure SATA is enabled in the BIOS, because i am currently using an Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM. Where might one get the drivers for the sata controller? i'm sorry, i'm not good with comps at all =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom