system bottle neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerves

Baseband Member
Hay all, my system sucks, but it shouldn't. I would like to find a benchmarking program that will help me find the bottle neck in my system. What are some good ones??

Well, let me see here.

HP Compaq nx9420
CPU; T2500 @ 2GHz (2 cpu's)
RAM; 1536 MB
Display; ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB memory
Sound; SOUNDMax HD Audio
OS; Windows XP Pro (5.1 BUILD 1600)
HD; 80GB

What else?

Well, first off, laptop's are always the best platforms for gaming systems.

next, you can find benchmarking software at Futuremark . Only word of caution, is that to get granular results, you will need to PURCHASE the software.

Can you try to describe HOW it is that your system "sucks"? Have you upgraded all of the drivers? Have you done virus, mal ware, adware scans? What programs do you have running in the background when it "starts sucking"? Is this on battery power, or on AC power?

The largest bottleneck in general is the hard drive.

Well this system has all ways had trouble with graphics drivers. The only one offered through HP for this system is a year and a half old and causes games and such to crash. I have many games through Steam and there system scan tells me that this driver is a problem. I can not download a driver through ATI because this is a prebuilt. When I remove the driver and let windows auto find drivers, it finds a much newer driver. Steam says this is the proper driver, however now I get BSOD on a regular basis. I'm chalking it up to F-ing with the drivers so much.

I defrag, scandisk on a regular basis. I run Reg Cleaner, Spy Bot S&D and Norton Anti Virus as well.

I get more "file not found" errors and the like then I have ever seen on a computer. I have tried "recovering" the hard drive, but the errors still linger. I need to reformat but I do not have a windows disk. I am working on downloading one now.

Is that sarcasm? I thought desktops where much superior because of better support from game developers and more upgrade options?

I think you got hit with some sarcasm there. I don't see why your having problems upgrading your Video Drivers. Have you downloaded the Mobility Catalyst 7.4 drivers? If not you can download it here. Also you shouldn't have to uninstall your device to upgrade your driver. The Catalyst driver should just be an install file that you run and it does all the updating for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom