Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a failure or not = it's going to be here for a while! Get used to it; deal with it. Hopefully Billy Bob Gates is working on making it better.

For some reason; I have faith in it. Maybe that's because I dropped some bucks and bought it????

I just want the media center, the only missing piece for my home entertainment system, problem is, My XP media center won't let me install it anymore - I don't know why

I am now using windows home basic, Just to start off with, Didnt wanna shell out on premium or ultimate just yet until some memory issues plugged up.I really like it though
User friendly.

I am now using windows home basic, Just to start off with, Didnt wanna shell out on premium or ultimate just yet until some memory issues plugged up.I really like it though
User friendly.

Ah, the wonderful world of Azureus. I installed Vista Ultimate a few months ago. I tolerated it for a couple weeks, but then the whole NO GAMES WORKING PROPERLY kind of annoyed me. I reformatted and installed XP Pro. Downright useless until software and game developers start releasing it designed for Vista, which hopefully is soon enough.

Vista Betas Set To Expire
A little reminder to all of you out there still tinkering around with beta builds of Windows Vista, all preview builds are set to expire May 31st. Don't feel bad, I am one of those people running a beta build because I am still on the fence about picking up Vista Ultimate. Anyone else still tinkering with Vista RC2?

On 31 May 2007, all Customer Preview Program (CPP) pre-release versions of Windows Vista will expire. If you are running a pre-release version of Windows Vista (Beta 2, RC1 or RC2), you will begin to receive warning notifications about the upcoming expiration on 18 May. To avoid work disruption and loss of data, we strongly recommend that customers running any of these pre-release versions of Windows Vista migrate their PCs to the final version of Windows Vista prior to 31 May

Windows Vista Team Blog : Windows Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 set to expire

Ah, the wonderful world of Azureus. I installed Vista Ultimate a few months ago. I tolerated it for a couple weeks, but then the whole NO GAMES WORKING PROPERLY kind of annoyed me. I reformatted and installed XP Pro. Downright useless until software and game developers start releasing it designed for Vista, which hopefully is soon enough.
Reallly. Hmm i have run every game i have tried. Only game that has given me a issue was Quake 4. Which that even runs now. So i dont know what kind of problems you were having but i dont seem to have any of them.

I have run CS:S, BF2, Quake 4, Doom 3, UT2004, Star Wars KOTOR, Star Wars KOTOR 2, Painkiller, Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, BF2142, and all sorts of emulators.

I have also heard of other games running as well. So you complain aobut No games working yet i have a nice list that does. Interesting. Maybe it was a DRIVER issue which is NOT related to Vista.

In late March, when security researchers stumbled upon drive-by download attacks exploiting yet another serious Windows hole, they had an eye-opening surprise: The vulnerability--caused by the way Windows handled animated cursor (.ani) files--didn't affect just Windows XP. It also hit Vista, Microsoft's new security-centric operating system.

Security experts still proclaim Vista a major improvement over previous Windows versions, and readily say that its important new safety features--including an improved firewall, a "Protected Mode" for Internet Explorer, and User Account Control--make it much more resistant to the most common forms of spyware and malware.

However, this latest flaw (now fixed) is a major black eye for Microsoft; along with two other critical security patches issued for Vista in its first three months on shelves, the problem has tarnished Vista's security sheen (see "Vista's Vulnerabilities" for details). The new OS may be safer, but its users must still be on their guard.

source.gif
News Source: PC World

Joanna Rutkowska, a security researcher known for picking apart the security mechanisms built into Windows, is to demonstrate new ways for hackers to invade Windows Vista, including rootkit techniques and ways to defeat BitLocker drive encryption.
Rutkowska recently announced she will be running a training session called "Understanding Stealth Malware" during the Black Hat Briefings and Training event in Las Vegas, which runs from 28 July to 2 August.
The training session, which will be co-presented by researcher Alex Tereshkin, promises to demonstrate new rootkits developed for Vista, ways of defeating hardware-based forensics systems and other techniques Microsoft would probably prefer the world didn't know.
Rutkowska said she, too, is aware of the need for discretion. "For ethical reasons we want to limit the availability of this course to only 'legitimate' companies," she said in a post on her blog, Invisible Things.
Rutkowska isn't against Windows as such, but has a track record of ferreting out its weaknesses. She recently uncovered a number of flaws in Vista's much-hyped User Account Control (UAC) feature, which led Microsoft to declare that the feature wasn't really intended for security after all.
Until recently she was a researcher for Coseinc, but is now in the process of founding a security start-up based in Poland, she said.
Earlier this spring she demonstrated several methods that sophisticated rootkits can use to hide from even the most reliable detection method currently available -- hardware-based products that read a system's RAM.
The demonstration in July will cover such methods, but will be more comprehensive, including unpublished techniques, implementation details, new code and sample rootkits.
The target will be Windows and specifically 64-bit Vista, including new kernel attacks against the latest 64-bit Vista builds.
"These attacks, of course, work on the fly and do not require system reboot and are not afraid of the TPM/BitLocker protection," she wrote.
TPM (Trusted Platform Module) refers to security systems with a hardware component built into the processor, designed to improve security and specifically to make copy-protection systems more difficult to circumvent. Rutkowska said the demonstrated techniques would work against copy-protection systems, but that this side of things wouldn't be specifically discussed at the demonstration.
The training is aimed at security and OS developers, forensic investigators and penetration testers, Rutkowska said.

PC World - Researcher to Demonstrate Vista Attacks

Does anyone know if u can somehow use Dreamscene on Home Premium

NO. Dreamscene is a Ultimate Extra Only. there is no hacks or anything out there that will allow for it to be used on Home Premium. If there was there would be no need for anyone to buy Ultimate.:p ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom