question about compatibility??

Status
Not open for further replies.

annieb727

Baseband Member
Hi. I am thinking of getting a new cpu for my current setup, and move it all into a new case. i found the information about the cpus that are supported by my motherboard. the motherboard i have is the intel d845pt, on the intel website it says that it supports 2.4GHz 400 MHz BUS 512KB Cache. I was searching for this particular cpu, and it's almost impossible to find. so i was wondering if my motherboard would be compatible with the same setup except it has 128kb cache...also, how much of a difference would this make??

thanks so much!

~annie

oops...didn't mean to post this twice...sorry

dont get that 128kb cache thing, it is a celeron chip. Stay away from those. They are missing a brain cell. What is your current setup. It would help for us to know, might not be worth it for a new cpu.

Our current setup is:

Intel Motherboard D845PT
P4 1500 MHz 100 external bus
256 MB RAM PC2100 (can have up to 1GB on two slots only PC2100 is compatible with my system)
Radeon 7500 (think it's the all in wonder)
Creative Sound Blaster Live!
20 GB Hard drive
CD-RW Drive
DVD Rom Drive
Windows 98SE

We do a TON of muli-taksing, no gaming, but also want to get into some video editing and such in the near future.

~Annie

get more memory, you cant video edit too well with your comp. If you plan to use this system for it the get more memory and a better video card. perhaps even a hardrive of larger capacity.

do you think adding a 512MB RAM be sufficient? we also have another harddrive that we would add (200GB).

we were considering the ATI 9600xt or 9800 Pro -- what do you think of those -- do you think they'll work with what we have?

thanks so much for all your help--it's very much appreciated!

~annie

ok, add another 512 stick of memory as you said, the hardrive is ok as long as it is 7200RPM or more and has a 8 meg cache. I prefer the 9600xt because of its superior clock speed and its memory speed is not far behind the 9800pro. depends on how much cash u have.

yes the hard drive that we got (200 GB) is 7200rpm and 8mb cache...

think we'll go with the 9600xt b/c of price...

i appreciate your help ^_^

~annie

Annie, i noticed that you're planning to use Win98 on your new build. I would strongly recommend you install either WinXP or W2K; they are far superior in terms of resource and memory management. Especially if you decide to add more RAM in your system, you will get much better performance w/ an NT-based OS.

annieb727 said:
...on the intel website it says that it supports 2.4GHz 400 MHz BUS 512KB Cache. I was searching for this particular cpu, and it's almost impossible to find. so i was wondering if my motherboard would be compatible with the same setup except it has 128kb cache...also, how much of a difference would this make??

More than likely it's saying that is the maximum (speed) of the CPU your MB will accept. So as long as you don't exceed those specs, you will be OK.

Typically, when vendors list the CPU specs, they will specify whether they are talking about L1 (level 1) or L2 (level 2) cache. In this case, since they don't specify, I'm assuming 512 KB is the L2 cache. Jumping from 128 KB to 512 KB will make a significant improvement especially if you plan on doing alot of video editing as you say.

Dont' know how much you're spending for your P4 chip, but newegg.com has some nice deals going on right now for P4 chips w/ better specs. They are a top-notch vendor w/ a good reputation.

thanks for the info/advice lone wolf...

we intend to build a totally new system in the next 6-12 months, but we wanted to something temporary with the system we have - that's why we thought MAYBE a new cpu, but i think we'll just go with some more memory for now and possibly the new video card we'll put into our new system. we want to put it into our new case now b/c we have a two year old who is always hitting the buttons and opening the disk drives (it's on our desk), and the new case has a locking front. so we figure we'll get the PSU that we want for the new system, the video card, and then a little more RAM for this system then we can get all the good stuff as we get the money for it.

we fully intend to get windows xp when we get the new motherboard and cpu, but that of course won't be for a while. we have windows 98 now and we are trying to keep the costs low for now, but we will get it in the next little bit.

~annie

AndrewtheGreat said:
I prefer the 9600xt because of its superior clock speed and its memory speed is not far behind the 9800pro. depends on how much cash u have.
Although the 9600Xt higher speed, but 9800GPU got advanced in term of graphic quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom