Friend's Laptop Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshSB

Geek Squad
Hey guys, my friend's laptop has had alot of trouble with it's hard drive, going out 2 times now and it was giving him issues for about 2 months now. The issue is that it suddenly will NOT turn on, I would assume this is a problem with the HDD, but it could also show that the motherboard is fried, is there anyway to tell without having to buy a new HDD which is a special HP HDD with a different ATA connection than normal HDDs.

Anyways, any of you guys got any suggestions/ideas to check before we order a new one?

Thanks guys.

What model of laptop is it? When it Doesn't turn on, is it on battery power, or AC power? I am guess this is a SATA hard drive?

How old is the laptop? Has he contacted HP support to RMA the Hard drive, or just go out and buy a new one?

It is a two year old laptop, well out of warranty, and the HDD failed about two times prior, it is a special sata connection laptop, I think 2/3/4/5 anyways, it will not power on via battery or plugged in.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

Still, what laptop model is it?

And has your friend tried resetting the BIOS by removing the coin / button cell lithium battery?

I will get the actual laptop model later today, hes sleeping over at his Girlfriend's house right now, *******. Anyways, I never thought about resetting the BIOS, I will try it on it when he gets back. He is computer illiterate and knows nothing about computers beyond how to type so he would have no idea what the BIOS is. I feel stupid for not thinking about it myself.

I will get back to you guys.

HP DV1217US is the model number for his laptop.

Thanks guys.

P.S. here is the issue guys.

I tried to turn it on without the HDD or the battery inside of it and it still will not turn on. I assume that if the HDD was the issue the **** thing would at least boot to the BIOS without it right?

Anyways, where would I find the CMOS battery on it, cannot seem to find it.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom