computer being near speakers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
These are not computer speakers, they are speakers meant for a car, and they're in a speaker cabinet, for now. I just use them for a table for my computer. I was just wondering if it's, ok for my computer to be on top of it, because I saw how one of my CRTs next to it, changes color.

If they have a strong enough magnetic field, or are not magnetically shielded then they will cause data corruption on your hard drive.

I don't know about that, but it's time to get a new table to be safe. I am kinda worried that, my computer has been on top of the speaker cabinet for several months back in Jan. when I built it. So far nothing bad happened.

i have z-5500s, where they say you must keep all electronics at least 2 feet away at all times. However, lcds wont be affected by magnetic fields since they use a grid system rather than electron cathode ray tube, computers and harddrives wont be affected if they are a reasonable distance away from the speakers (around a feet is fine), also i doubt a harddrive would face data corruption if placed on my subwoofer

Yeah, as he mentioned, hard drive corruption is POSSIBLE, but not too likely. The worst part is the monitor if it is a CRT, AFAIK.

When I was in high school, a kid in my AP Programming (C++) brought this huge 1 or 2 pound magnet to class, and he opened up a PC, literally sat it ON TOP of the hard drive for a few minutes, and the computer still SEEMED to work ok for the rest of the year, except for the CRT was messed up after that...

i doubt a harddrive would face data corruption if placed on my subwoofer

Maybe not if both are OFF, but if the sub is on, and the HDD is spinning, I wouldn't doubt that the vibrations could cause damage to the platters.

Well the speakers are never in use. And right now, I have the computer sitting on top of the speaker cabinets, and a CRT standing on the other.

This is an older picture but, the monitor in the lower left hand corner, is sitting on the right speaker.

Hard drives use magnetic fields to write data. If you get magnets too close it can cause data corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom