AVG Free problems,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hello, I have a old PC with 98SE on it, I have had AVG free on it for a long time. I don't know what happened but I can't update AVG anymore. I have totally uninstalled and reinstalled AVG free 7.5 about 4 times but it still don't work. I get

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
Program C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\AVGINET.EXE
This application has requested the runtime to terminate in a unusual way.
Please contact the applications support team for more information."

I also get,
"AVG 7.5 Exception
something bad happened in the application
Error diagnostic file saved to C:\PROGRAM FILES\AVG7\AVGCC.err."

I got on AVG's forum and did what they said to do, at least I think I did everything right, I am no expert when it comes to computer programs, anyway they said it isn't a problem with the AVG but some other problem.

I tried downloading Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library, or at least what Microsoft said was the latest version that works on 98SE but it didn't help.

I can't find the original Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library to see if I can remove it and reinstall it if it is even possible.

I also have Spybot SD and Ad-Aware SE {free one} installed. I also have a program called CleanUp to get rid of junk files and RegCleaner, but I have had all of these on a long time also with AVG and never had any problems before now.

I have run Housecall on the PC and it didn't find any problems.

I don't know if I did something to mess things up? It just started to do this one morning when the automatic update tried to run. All the other programs seem to be working OK, just problems with the AVG 7.5 free version.

Am I stuck till I remove and reinstall 98SE all over again? I would like to put XP on this thing but the program costs more than the PC is worth, and when I scan the PC with Microsoft's program to see if the PC will take XP it says that there are all kinds of problems and that XP might not boot up.

Anyone else run into such a thing before?

Tom

The simple answer to that is that over a certain version number AVG is no able to run on 98SE. The latest 7.5 version seems to run on Vista without problems. But 98 is long past unless you saved an old copy somewhere. You would need something like the 6.1-6.5 as the last for 98.

I asked about this on the AVG forums, I was told that the latest AVG free 7.5 is set up to run on WIN 98SE yet. AVG has it running on a system with 98SE on it to make sure there are no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom