Exhausting computer problem... ongoing for months! Save me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kreation

Beta member
I bought an Alienware (ugh..) desktop a few years back and it worked fine for about a year. Now, the computer is completely inoperable. Whenever I turn it on, it would run for a few seconds, beep a few times (I think 6-10 times usually), and then shut off again. After a talk with my cousin who is better with computers than me, he decided it was probably a fan error. The fan that was attached to the motherboard would not spin at all so I figured the computer was overheating itself and shutting down in order to prevent it.

I went to Newegg and bought myself another fan including the thermal glue and attached the entire thing properly. However, the fan still does not respond and the computer is still acting the same.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Specs will be provided if necessary. Is this even a fan problem? Could it be a mobo problem?

I forgot to include that the beep tones seem to match the High, Low beeping sound that is mentioned in the POST troubleshooting indicating that it is either a CPU issue or overheating issue. However, I have no way of confirming.

If it is such a problem, how do I go about fixing it?

I'm guessing that your PC isn't on long enough to install a program to monitor temperature levels.

You said it was either a CPU or a heating issue... Maybe your CPU is overheating. You could try applying fresh thermal paste and reinstalling the CPU fan.

Also, doesn't Alienware have pretty good customer service? Have they been any help?

Try to use another fan header on the board. Worst case try to splice into the power plug on the power supply. But only if you know how. Also If the fan has been out and you don't have the bios set to shut off at a certain temp it could have fried the CPU. What are your specs on this computer? It sounds like the mainboard is having some problems but if you can get the fan to work it may run for quite awhile still.

one thing good to check, when you turn it on, have the case open and feel the heatsink when it is on. if it gets hot, then i dont know. if there is no display, and it starts beeping immediately, the it sounds like a cpu problem or motherboard problem.

all i know is on an old motherboard i had, when ever there was a cpu error, then it would not send voltage to it and would not turn on the fan for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom