Maxtor: The Worst Hard Drives Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these are old hard drives, but I have had a bunch of quantum bigfoots die on me. I switched to a used seagate 17.2 I got off ebay and so far its working good in this old PC. It is real quiet compared to the quantum. TomW

Hard drives are very quirky things. Ask around and i bet you will be able to find groups of people that have horror stories about every single harddrive model. The fact is that there are so many working parts in a computer that having something going wrong isnt so much a question of will it, but when will it. Hard drives have a lot of moving parts and its understandable that you are going to get a bad few off of a production line.

Having said that, i personally only use WD as i think they are the best. Yet only a couple of posts ago it was said that someone had to return three of them. It just comes down to personal preference i guess.

I have just bought a Western Digital SATA150 Raptor, 10,000 rpm, 8MB cache. It really doesn't want to do anything at all. I bought it a brand new HighPoint controller instead of the onboard and it still doesn't want to do anything.

My first problem with WD, but I expect problems with most HDD manufacturers at some point.

I've always used Maxtor HD's on all my boxes & I've never had a problem. I always thought they were pretty reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom