pc with 16 physical cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohand

In Runtime
Hi guys, I'm wondering if is it possible now(or you know about when in the future) to have a pc with 16 physical cores in regular home buget workstation. since quad quad cpus are out nowadays, I'm into very graphic intensive 3d applications in very resourse intense rendering. that consumes multiple cores. I've searched the quad core xeon that uses socket 771 but I couldn't find any quad socket, there is only dual socket(any reason why? and If you had articles about active vs passive architecture it'll be helpful too) and I heard that
Barcelona might make this possible, but when is it out and what socket does it use? 940? thanks for any reply.

man i can never keep up, i buy dual-core and now theres 8-cores, y do i have an expensive hobby!!

lol I expected this thread to be popular... I know there is quad socket for dual core opterons, but it's not enough... lol i'm already using a dual core opterson, but it's not even close to enough of catching up the rendering speed, need much much more, lol but I wish there is 100 cores lol... any more info? and why isn't there a quad socket 771??

Hate to mention this, but having 16 CPU cores would not be considered, "Regular home budget workstations". I don't think such a thing would ever exist for the home budget. If you have such an incredible need for multiple CPU power, I suggest you try to locate a render farm and rent some time.

hmm... did u guys notice that what sort of RAM it uses...... 266/333/400 and did u notice that it has no room for video card just an integrated ATI Rage Video card... whats the point of having 64 GB of RAM and 4 really good CPU's if u only get an ATI Rage video card.... talk about the ultimate bottleneck..

Give it time... I wouldn't doubt to see boards like this being more common in the coming months... Very cool idea though.

Hate to mention this, but having 16 CPU cores would not be considered, "Regular home budget workstations". I don't think such a thing would ever exist for the home budget. If you have such an incredible need for multiple CPU power, I suggest you try to locate a render farm and rent some time.

actually system with new 2 quad core xeon (8 core) is possible to build in about 2-3k... (low end quad core cost around 500 and motherboard about 200-300)so i quessing 5k-6k might do if it actually exist..? Ok well then i would add "high end home buget workstation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom